• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Booting new computer on External CD-ROM drive..

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

BstOnTheBrain

Registered
I have a External DVD-RW/DVD-ROM, CD-W from my old computer that i used when the internal one went dead. So, for my new computer, i was just planning on using that one instead of buying an internal one and installing it. Do i need to have an internal one when i first boot my computer? Or would the external one not work without the right drivers installed...

billb

BstOnTheBrain said:
I have a External DVD-RW/DVD-ROM, CD-W from my old computer that i used when the internal one went dead. So, for my new computer, i was just planning on using that one instead of buying an internal one and installing it. Do i need to have an internal one when i first boot my computer? Or would the external one not work without the right drivers installed...
If the BIOS can see the external drive you're good. Just set it to be the boot drive. And, come on, really...you can't get your hands on a cd drive? You don't know someone who has an old one laying around, doing nothing?

AZNBoiOnFIYA

how many bios can actually see an attached external drive? the probability of your bios seeing it is probably really low. youre probably better off getting a cheap $20 cd-rom drive.