• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Booting several diskless clients off a network drive in win2k?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

BigRed

Caffinated Member
Anyway it can be done? I want to run F@H on some rigs that dont have hdds with a slow rig as a server to the faster ones. AZN said it might be able to be done.
Someone must know how to do this.

Im not sure how that would work. You could just run a terminal to your server, which would load from your ram once booted into. However wouldnt the F@H be in effect running from the server using the same resources anyways, so you would get the same use as running multiple instances? Im not sure if you could run F@H from the ram of each cliient if thats what you are getting at.

Here is a link to run a linux terminal server, check it out.

http://www.linuxgazette.com/issue68/swieskowski.html

turd said:
Im not sure how that would work. You could just run a terminal to your server, which would load from your ram once booted into. However wouldnt the F@H be in effect running from the server using the same resources anyways, so you would get the same use as running multiple instances? Im not sure if you could run F@H from the ram of each cliient if thats what you are getting at.

Here is a link to run a linux terminal server, check it out.

http://www.linuxgazette.com/issue68/swieskowski.html
Dont have linux, wouldnt even know how to use it.
I just want to be able to have windows 2k boot from a remote hard drive then I would make a ramdrive to install F@H onto the local machine.
What im getting at is I have no hard drives left but lots of folding boxes, lol. Looking for a cheap way to get them running (with using what i have, no linux).

Gandalf said:
Red, Gator wrote up instrucions for doing this! :)

I'll try to dig up the link in the Folding section...
No, that was for using overfoldix (linux). I already saw it.
Im just about to break down and buy a bunch of smallish hard drives from compgeeks.

Back