• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Bottleneck

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Dpg3456

Hello all,

I have a 9590 running from 4.7 to 5.1ghz with a gtx 980 with +100mhz on the core clock. However i get around 30-45 fps on ultra during bf4. The cpu doesnt max out at all however the 980 does max out. does that make sense, from what i heard the fx 9590 should be the bottleneck, not the other way around. when i put settings to high its jumps to 56 average.

Nothing to serious or anything problems, just a general question.

Thank for everyones input ahead of time.

What resolution are you playing at? The higher the res, the more it's dependent on the GPU. I'd say 1440p and above you shouldn't see a huge bottleneck, but at 1080p perhaps. That said consider dropping a couple items to slightly lower settings like AA

But isn't 1440 higher resolution than 1080?

I am gaming at 1080p though. So a higher resolution monitor would help with that?

Yes 1440 is higher. So the lower it is, the more dependent on the Processor/CPU.

I imagine you have some type of bottleneck, as the 980 should be able to manage that around 60 IMO. But others may chime in.

Turning down AA from 4/8x to 2x and shadows from ultra to high may give you a performance increase with minimal decrease in quality

That's what I thought, there's no way the GPU is bottlenecking. But watching MSI afterburner I saw usuage go up to 99% where the CPU was around 60 ish, just guessing wasn't watching. I'll give that a shot, I'm lazy and just set it preset ultra.

I don't play BF4 or any of the series but I do game on FX with a 980 @ 1080p, GTAV, DOOM, FarCry3 and Shadow of Mordor are games I have played recently that are fairly demanding and have never had any issues with my gaming.
From what I have read BF4 is supposed to be multithread friendy so the CPU shouldn't be the iisue either unless you're getting some throttling from your mobo ?

How would I check that? What fps you get in fc3? I get around 60-75 avg. Never dipping under that. You mean changing the NB frequency? I have a crosshair v formula z. So I my GPU is bottlenecking?

Run some type of monitoring program and check your CPU is actually running at that speed (4.7+) during the game, or if it's dropping.

I have HWiNFO64 and during game play the frequency doesnt change. Even oc'd it stays constant. That program records min, avg, and max, It doesnt change more than 40mhz during game play.

I can't tell you what my FPs were. I never check these things. To me it either plays well or it doesn't. I would check the game settings. I found with DOOM if I turned adaptive V-sync off I had issues with it locking up.

Back