• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

bought a motherboard have questions

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

kaitlin4599

ok so i recently bought a motherboard from a reputable pc parts shop that sells new and used parts heres the name of the mobo GA-G31M-S2L (rev. 1.0) the link to the mobo info is down below now here are my questions

btw i plan to install my core 2 duo E8400 that i picked up off ebay for 4$

#1 whats the best aftermarket cpu cooler i can buy that will allow me to overclock my E8400 to 4.5Ghz

#2 would i be better off putting heatsinks on the VRM to allow for a better stable overclock and if so what heat-sinks do you recommend

if possible please post links to any recommendations to the 2 above questions thanks

http://www.gigabyte.com/products/product-page.aspx?pid=2693#ov

thanks mate but what about a good cooler so i can reach 4.5-5.0 with the bad boy air cooling prefer'd as its cheaper then water cooling

And truth be told, you won't hit 4.5 ghz with that cpu on air anyway no matter what board. These were 4-4.5ghz chips IIRC with the latter pushing water cooling. That board is not good for what you want to do...2/3 phase vrm? G31is a budget platform... not too many overclocking options there... fsb may not get where you want it anyway.

You really should have picked up a nice P45 board with lots of power phases and some nice power delivery section heatsinks.
That CPU is a 45nm chip and no 45nm chip hit 5Ghz on air. That was more of a 32nm phenomenon. As EarthDog said, you won't be hitting high clocks on that board (not safely, at least) due to the crummy platform/crummy power delivery section you're working with.

You don't need a tremendous heatsink for that CPU, even with a really great motherboard. An Arctic Freezer 7 pro for like $10-14 would be more than enough. They're easy to install too.

I took an E6550 which produces way more heat up to 4Ghz on that heatsink.

this board was all i could afford and it was cheap only 10 dollars i do plan on adding some VRM cooling

- - - Updated - - -

if i may ask howd you find out the power phase for my board i dont see it listed on the specs for the board on gigabytes site

this board was all i could afford and it was cheap only 10 dollars i do plan on adding some VRM cooling

- - - Updated - - -

if i may ask howd you find out the power phase for my board i dont see it listed on the specs for the board on gigabytes site

Just look at these two photos you'll see the difference in the power section yours has about 3 chokes the black squares the other one has 12 that's where the power comes from. The second board is made for overclocking.

Gig 1.png

gig2.png

The Front sided bus will limit the overclock before the the phase power section will limit the overclock on that board.

Back