• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Bought a new cooler and temps went up!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

jakeface1

I finished cleaning up my cables and also put in a Tuniq 120 extreme today. My temps were about 34 idle and 60C load with my arctic freezer 7 pro. With the Tuniq this is what i get:
308b50x.jpg

This is the finished product.

smr146.jpg

Anyways I lowered my overclock to 3.6Ghz for this and its still getting very high. I used arctic silver 5 and applied a very thin layer then i put the cooler on and then took it off to see how well it spread and it was a very thin uniform layer. I tightened the cooler down all the way in a criss cross pattern. What could be the problem? I didn't install the fan controller for the CPU fan and it was only 3 pin. could the fan not be at full speed? Thanks in advanced!!

Sorry didn't see that in the first post. I would say that you had a improperly mounted heatsink or a warped/uneven contact between the CPU and the h.sink, but seeing as how you've checked all that out I'm somewhat clueless.

I'd narrow it down to two possible things: the heatsink is rubbish or the fan really isn't moving enough air. I'd be more apt to choose the latter, I'd check fan speeds.

I'm sure someone wiser can step in and give you a better idea :p

If the Fan is 3 pin just make sure in bios the the cpu fan controller is set to voltage or Smart/Fan/PWM off setting to give full voltage to CPU fan

If the Fan is 3 pin just make sure in bios the the cpu fan controller is set to voltage or Smart/Fan/PWM off setting to give full voltage to CPU fan

Yea you got it. I reseated the cooler just to be safe. But I also installed the fan controller and have it at 50% and now im good! Thanks for the quick replys!! These are my temps now:

11b467o.jpg

Back