• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

bought an RX 470 and realized my mobo doesnt have a UEFI BIOS how screwed am i

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Are we talking two different things here? kaitlin seems to be referring to the card's BIOS in post #19, and the motherboard BIOS in the OP.

We're good....

In 19, she believesaid the second bios on the gpu is 'legacy' or non uefi (but it's just for fan speeds). In the first post, she was talking about both the gpu and motherboard in #1.

Anyway, I don't think anyone answered #2.. it does NOT have dvi. Look at the specifications on your link, kaitlin, in the first post. :)

Last edited:
Are we talking two different things here? kaitlin seems to be referring to the card's BIOS in post #19, and the motherboard BIOS in the OP.

i meant that my mobo doesnt have a uefi bios so i figured the gpu would not be supported

i meant that my mobo doesnt have a uefi bios so i figured the gpu would not be supported

UEFI is just the interface (Basically lets you use a mouse in BIOS). That shouldn't have any effect on the card. Make sure all Nvidia drivers are uninstalled, install the 470 and go AMD's website to download the current drivers. Restart the computer and you should be good to go.

I've seen a HP machine NOT accept a PCIE 3.0 card because of a Bios-based locked down (Think it was Sandy bridge based). Even though spec was backwards compatible, the bios did not allow it. Changing around to other 2.0 cards worked fine. A more modern 3.0 card just would not work, however. It was a pre-built SFF OEM style computer.

I have seen plenty of systems not work with new cards and X58 era parts. I wish you luck I have not tried a 470 in a z400 so I couldn't even guess if it'll be fine.

I've seen a HP machine NOT accept a PCIE 3.0 card because of a Bios-based locked down (Think it was Sandy bridge based). Even though spec was backwards compatible, the bios did not allow it. Changing around to other 2.0 cards worked fine. A more modern 3.0 card just would not work, however. It was a pre-built SFF OEM style computer.

This is exactly why i(it was suggested) to flash the motherboard bios. But again, it has nothing to do with the 3.0 spec. Also, she had a pcie3.0 card in there already in the 750ti.

It has everything to do with post #26.

You do know that the card she is replacing is a pci-e 3.0 right? That was in I believe post one if you want to be specific. The issue has zilch to do with pci-e version in this case and more to do if the board will post with a purely UEFI card slapped in. Some of them will not.

You do know that the card she is replacing is a pci-e 3.0 right? That was in I believe post one if you want to be specific. The issue has zilch to do with pci-e version in this case and more to do if the board will post with a purely UEFI card slapped in. Some of them will not.

I was responding to one post's PCIe concern, that's all. We've been trying to put that one to bed for almost two pages now.

Outstanding. That's a good card, enjoy. :thup:

now i just need to relearn the amd gpu settings lol

The Wattman settings didn't seem intuitive to me at first, but after playing around with them a couple times it was actually pretty simple.

Im too late to say "it will work don't worry."

but my question to the OP....

did you finally manage to get that PSU adapter thing we talked about made?! :)

Back