• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Bought the wrong ram! What would be the best configuration until I can replace?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

HybridStigmatis

Hello!

This is my first post, newb needs help! I own a P6T(not deluxe) motherboard with a i7 920 @ 3.8ghz. With 3x1GB Patriot Viper 1600ll series ram. I recently purchased 3x1GB 1333ll series patriot viper ram. The question now is how can I best utilize this until I can afford new ram? in what order should they be placed inside the motherboard? And what should I set the bios so this works? Before I bought the new ram windows 7 said I had 2 gigs, when I had 3 (This is a whole new topic in itself). I got the new ram and now it says I have 4 when I have 6. However, cpuz reads all 6 sticks. Your knowlage is greatly appreciated!!! I have no clue what any of the ram settings in the bios mean because I have never overclocked ram(in this case maybe underclock lol), but I would love to learn.

1600MHz = CL9-9-9-24(timings)
1333MHz = CL 7-7-7-20(timings)

Thanks!

PS. My bios and drivers are all updated. Buying new ram at this time is not an option, but if what I'm doing is dangerous then warn me! I'll take the new ram out.

EarthDog

Gulper Nozzle Co-Owner
Get all 3GB to be seen would be my first step personally! You can just leave it alone and use the DDR3 1600...

I would sell both sticks and get 3x2GB DDR3 1600 and call it a day.

What you are doing isnt dangerous, however I would bet your sytem clocked itself down or you had to lower the memory multi down to run at 1333 speeds... That or the 1333 sticks are running well at DDR3 1600. What speeds, timings, and voltages are those sticks at in the system? Default?

OP
H

HybridStigmatis

Get all 3GB to be seen would be my first step personally! You can just leave it alone and use the DDR3 1600...

I would sell both sticks and get 3x2GB DDR3 1600 and call it a day.

What you are doing isnt dangerous, however I would bet your sytem clocked itself down or you had to lower the memory multi down to run at 1333 speeds... That or the 1333 sticks are running well at DDR3 1600. What speeds, timings, and voltages are those sticks at in the system? Default?

Thanks for the fast reply. I have looked into why I only see 2 gigs instead of 3 before I bought the new ram. I've tried plenty of things, but it seems like many people have this issue with all the p6t boards and abroad, not too many of them were resolved and each resolving method I tried didn't work for me. Missing ram seems to be a problem with lots of people who are using x86 and x64. I've been pulling my hair out over that for some time... The system has only a few adjustments that I can't recall off the top of my head. I did bump the voltage up to the required 1.65, but it knocks it up to 1.66 automatically. The rest of the bios ram settings are a mess from trouble shooting. Heres where it really gets confusing. When I use xp 32 bit it thinks theres 2.99 gigs, with 3 or 6 gigs. So if xp 32bit can see all 3 gigs of ram why would 7 recognize only 2(with 3 gigs in)? What gives? I wouldn't be so upset, but I actually utilize this ram when I load huge sample libraries for my music creating software(kontakt 4). Its more then an eye soar or a slight difference in daily performance. THIS IS LIFE OR DEAF!!! lol

I Know its hard to follow... sorry

OP
H

HybridStigmatis

CPU-z Memory configuration

General:

type: ddr3
size: 6144 mbytes
channels: dual
nb freq. 3040

Timings:

Dram frequency: 570
FSB dram: 2.6
cl: 6
tRDCD: 8
tRP: 8
tRAS: 20
tRFC: 59
CR: 2T

CompuTamer

Member with Some Fancy Text Under His Name
I know this main sound kinda obvious, but are you running an x64 OS?
If not that Windows can only address 4 gig of RAM TOTAL. (Video card, memory, other little odds and ins)

OP
H

HybridStigmatis

I know this main sound kinda obvious, but are you running an x64 OS?
If not that Windows can only address 4 gig of RAM TOTAL. (Video card, memory, other little odds and ins)

With 6 gigs of ram 32 shows up as 2.99. In 64 its 4 gigs of ram.
With 3 gigs of ram 32 shwos up as almost 2.99. In 64 it only shows 2.

Regardless of the missing ram issue, what should I set the bios to for the mismatched ram? Could anyone help walk me threw the process?

Joeteck

Retired
CPU-z Memory configuration

General:

type: ddr3
size: 6144 mbytes
channels: dual
nb freq. 3040

Timings:

Dram frequency: 570
FSB dram: 2.6
cl: 6
tRDCD: 8
tRP: 8
tRAS: 20
tRFC: 59
CR: 2T

Ummm.. there's your problem... You're in dual channel mode, not tri-channel mode...

If you RAM is in the RED slots, try moving them to the BLACK slots or visa-vera.

Maybe a slot went bad...:shrug:

EDIT: Thanks for the lead, for the KONTAKT4. Sweet program. I write music myself...I use SonicSynth with Sonar 6...

Last edited:

nzaneb

Do you have all 6 slots populated?

As Joeteck stated, you're stuck in Dual Channel mode. When you only had 3 sticks in before, it was only using 2 of them (first 2 channels). Now you filled all the slots, and it's using the first 4 sticks (still the first 2 Channels) This would lead to what you described in your first post. 2GB's shown before the upgrade, 4 GB's shown after. Look for a Triple channel option in the BIOS.

OP
H

HybridStigmatis

Ummm.. there's your problem... You're in dual channel mode, not tri-channel mode...

If you RAM is in the RED slots, try moving them to the BLACK slots or visa-vera.

Maybe a slot went bad...:shrug:

EDIT: Thanks for the lead, for the KONTAKT4. Sweet program. I write music myself...I use SonicSynth with Sonar 6...

Sounds like you and nzaneb are on to something. I'll start diggin threw the bios. Joe, Kontakt is pretty serious, I love the ability to peace together my own orchestra string by string. Music software has trouble keeping up with the pace of technology, but the whole Komplete 6 set is awesome. Supports multicore and lets you allocate quite a bit of ram.

Thanks!