• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Breaking raid array

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

BenF

Is it possible to break a two drive raid 0 array without losing the data on it? Or maybe break the array but recover the data?

psionic98

by break do you mean remove one of the 2 drives?

you should be able to remove the array and use a single drive as long as you turn off raid.. since its mirrored it should still function as a single drive

OP
BenF

BenF

by break do you mean remove one of the 2 drives?

you should be able to remove the array and use a single drive as long as you turn off raid.. since its mirrored it should still function as a single drive

The drives aren't mirrored, that would be raid 1. Raid 0 splits the data between the two drives increasing read and write times. I want to split the array so I can have two stand alone drives.

Ben333

Folding for Team 32!
Going to need to copy the data from the array to another drive I think.

OP
BenF

BenF

Going to need to copy the data from the array to another drive I think.

Thats what I was thinking too. I was just hoping there would be a software solution that would combine the split data onto unused drive space. I haven't heard of such a program but I was hoping one might exist.

gvguy39

Yes, u are going to have to copy data to another drive, then disable the raid array, to then have the two raided drives as stand-alone drives.