• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Brit hacker set for the cooler

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

hkgonra

I saw this on neowin.net earlier , I say it's about time !!!!!!!!!

U.S. prosecutors have charged a British man with hacking into nearly 100 government and private-sector computers, disrupting military operations and causing $900,000 in damage over the course of a year.

Prosecutors said 36-year-old Gary McKinnon, an unemployed computer programmer living in north London, stole passwords, deleted files, monitored traffic and shut down computer networks on military bases from Pearl Harbour to Connecticut.

McKinnon's actions shut down Internet access for thousands of Washington-area military employees for three days, according to federal charges filed in Virginia and New Jersey, and disrupted operations at a Navy station in New Jersey shortly after the September 11 hijacking attacks of last year.

McKinnon also hacked into NASA, the University of Tennessee, a public library in Bethlehem, Pennsylvania, and several private businesses, according to the charges.

"This is an incredibly sophisticated cyber criminal," said Newark U.S. Attorney Christopher Christie. "He was a very busy guy."

Prosecutors said they would seek to extradite McKinnon, who is charged with seven counts of computer fraud. If found guilty, he could face up to $1.75 million in fines and 70 years in jail.

Serves him right the stupid cracker. He could have made alot of money selling himself to companies and pointing out their security flaws though. It's a big business nowadays.

-DarkArctic

DarkArctic said:
Serves him right the stupid cracker. He could have made alot of money selling himself to companies and pointing out their security flaws though. It's a big business nowadays.

-DarkArctic

No joke , m bf is less than 2 yrs our of college and making over 100k doing that.

brittish twit!!!! sorry, i don't understand the accent.

say "are" in brit, sounds like "ah"

they don't pronounce R's.

just like the guy in Snatch said, "You guys spawned the f'n language, but nobody seems to speak it!"

AND DON'T EVEN GO THERE with me being southern, i kicked that southern drawl thing to the curb early during childhood.

Last edited:
specific said:
brittish twit!!!! sorry, i don't like the accent.

I personally find that a little insulting. I think that is an extreme generalisation.

nightowl said:

I personally find that a little insulting. I think that is an extreme generalisation.

sorry man
didn't think before i posted. it's not like i would mistreat or ostracize any foreigner for any reason. after all, we are all in this together.

HOWEVER, i don't think my comment was THAT bad. and, when you think about it, the english do pronounce the word that way, so how can you say it was an extreme generalization. after all, it's not like i stereotyped anyone. i really only meant it jokingly. i don't DISLIKE the English, or anyone else for that matter. that would be shallow of me.

*specific offers handshake*

you can poke fun at me if you like. take a shot. i'll be strong. if it's actually funny, i'll probably laugh at it too.:p

cxb said:
I agree, not to mention this guy is obviously incredibly intelligent.

oh really?
you applaud someone disrupting the navy's business, right after the 9/11 incident?

regardless of his skill, what he did was pretty DUMB if you ask me. i don't take back any of what i said about HIM. HE's still a twit!

specific said:

oh really?
you applaud someone disrupting the navy's business, right after the 9/11 incident?

regardless of his skill, what he did was pretty DUMB if you ask me. i don't take back any of what i said about HIM. HE's still a twit!

Well he said he was intelligent, not smart. I consider those terms two different things. Intelligence is how much potential you have and how smart you are is how you put it to use. So I don't think that specific was condoning his actions, just making an observation.

-DarkArctic

Ban this guy from the network for life. I am sure it costs an obscene amount of money tracking these ppl down and fixing their messes.

specific said:
brittish twit!!!! sorry, i don't like the accent.

You've never talked to a Scotsman before then?:D

Think Billy Connolly, Ewan McGregor, the cast of Braveheart, Groundskeeper Willie, Sean Connery, Me, Nightowl, and the several million Scots (The Welsh and Irish too) that don't speak like the English.........

Bethlehem, Pennsylvania.... That's where I grew up. I know the Library well. Wonder if he stole my old Library records :eek:

Maybe "like" was too strong a word. it's not that i don't "like" the accent, but a better term to describe my feeling would be to say i don't "understand".

I didn't and don't refer to ANY nationality with prejudice or stereotype. And I poke fun at americans with the same sense of HUMOR.

Yes, reddeathdrinker, i have spoken to a scotsman. A good friend of mine, Thompson is his last name. I laugh and joke with him and his father about a great many things. We even crack on each other, without taking it seriously i might add.

Where is your sense of humor? What more can I say? The guy who was referred to in this thread made a big mistake. I made an offhand remark. That is all. I'm not John Rocker. This thing is getting out of hand. If a mod deems it necessary to remove, or edit the post, very well. At least the line will be well defined from that point on.

I think i have sufficiently washed my hands of this entire thing. I've clarified myself, apologized, and extended a handshake. No hard feelings here. If anyone wants to cry about this, call a mod, make a fuss, start a petition for my ejection from the forums for joking about someone's accent, so be it.

Goodday Mates

i personally like the scots and irish much more than the british. I like the iris hbecause their beer rocks, and theyre funny, and the scots, well, because they kicked the british's "arse" in braveheart.

Doofie, I think you will find that The Scottish, Welsh, Northern Irish and the English are all British.

*accepts specifics handshake*

Specific, the only thing that wound me up about your initial post was your reference to brits as a whole when it wasn't really what you meant, which is fairly obvious now. No hard feelings.

I have to agree with many others on this, if he had used what he knows to help others he would have had himself a good job. Now he will have a jail cell, so there is no doubt he is a fool.

Heh, even the English don't speak like the English.

Newc-astle, way aye!Beermeengum (Birmingham)
Manchester, y'awwright arr kid?
Liverpewel (liverpool)
Narfalk (norfolk)
Zummerzet (Summerset)
Yarkshirrr (Yorkshire)

The "talking round a hot potato" accent would be most attributable to home counties middle and upper classes, and Eliza Doolittle post elecution.

The Landan, "cockney" accent (definitely not **** Van Dycke) is common in London, and much of the southern part of England shares a common intonation but with regional differences.

Not that many this side of the atlantic have a particularly sensitive ear when it comes to these things. I get mistaken for australian :rolleyes: (dunno WTH my accent sounds like now, started off kind of southern with a norfamptonshire lilt, dragged narth a lal tad by my dad's Cumbrian roots, got a bit of a nasal intonation while in manchester, and probably got inf(l)ected with a bit of canadian by now, definitely not aussy though)
and I met guys from Birmingham and Newcastle whom Americans and Canadians though were from south africa and scotland respectively. :D

Anyhoo, be careful with generalisations, the Scots for instance are about as offended at being lumped with the English, when you say British meaning English, as would a Texan be who was called a yankee.

Road Warrior

intelligent yes wise no
No it would make sense to lock him up.Thats like saying man he killed that whole room full of poeple I bet he would make a great assassin.

Back