• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Broke a capacitor off...

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

ACF

And glued it back on careful to make the connections. I got it overclocked it runs fine BUT...the fan keeps slowing down to a crawl and makes some laboring sounds from time to time. Could this be related? I can RMA it back to Visiontek but wanted to ride it out a bit. Any input you guys got on this is mucho appreciated. :)

specific

RMA? Something you broke?
that's a no no
watch out for the "Anti Un-Ethical Overclockers Army"
They have troops here.

OP
ACF

ACF

LOL, I told them what I did and they still said to send it back. Score one for Visiontek I guess. :)

Honestly, I barely touched it.

Last edited:

john240sx

how are you going to RMA to visiontek? i thought they were gone.

anyway, you said you glued it back on? are you sure your getting good contact (like you would if you soldered it back on)?

xbiker321

Yeah Soldering would have been the better choice. If not you could always buy a replacement, i thing the Gefoce 3 ti 200 that you have is in the $70.00 's. Ive been looking into 9700 prices so im not to sure about Geforce 3 price's :(

Daemonfly

If they accepted it then send away :)

If not, then I would just solder on a new cap. If you can't do it, then look around for an electronics repair shop.

IR1

visiontek is not gone. There website is still up. They wont go outa business but they could either merge or get bought up, and then the company that bought it might honor the warranty but as of right now Visiontek is still here.

And I know about the anti Unethical oc army. they were all over me the other day before getting all the info, but its no big deal.

So if Vtek is gonna get bought up soon RMA it now. I can understand how a capacitor could break off because of faulty manufacturing. These companies arnt saints you know. It doesnt cost them near 350 dollars to build these things that they charge when they come out, of course that dont give ya a right to lie and get an RMA.

But yours sounds reasonable. I think trying to fix it yourself may void warranty, like taking solder to it, but I am a pretty good with a soldering iron yet leave it up to visiontek. soldering would be a last resort if I wasnt under warranty anymore.

OP
ACF

ACF

Thanks guys. I'm really not trying to get something for nothing. This may force me to buy a 4200 anyway. We'll see how it goes. Just sucks that I bought the thing less than a year ago. :(