• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Broken inverter, or broken cathodes?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

CAPiTA

I've got this problem with my cathodes. It just recently started to happen. When they're lit up, only half of the tubes light up and they're not very bright at all. I was thinking the tubes were shot, but both of them failing at the same time? Unlikely, but possible. The next possible thing was the inverter, and that's what I'm suspecting is the problem.

So, to avoid paying full price for a new kit, I was thinking I could just replace the inverter and save myself some cash. Anyway, what do you guys think is the problem?

Captain Slug

Helpful Senior Member
If the tube is broken or faulty the gas will escape or simply not light up. Most likely the inverter is too weak, as I've had that problem with cheap inverters or ones I tried to scalp but were the wrong voltage input.

Tabrin

I had that problem with my CCFL's before the tube died. Plugged a new one in the inverter and it's worked just find for four months, which is about how long the first set lasted...no problems.