• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Broken monitor! :-(

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

jokrswild

Well, i had a spare monitor, which i used to get all my systems up and running, and to change things on them. Well, Eric's girlfriend's roommate opened our room door too much and too hard, and slammed into it.. It fell off the computer i was getting to run, and it broke. No fun at all.

So now, to install any OS, i have to hook the computer up to my main monitor, etc. But, one good thing came of it. I discovered VNC. I now just control remotely that computer. Once i get my new 1600 system and 1900 system up, i'll do the same with them.

It's crazy, after oc's and all, i will have jumped from a total of 2.27 ghz to just about 7! Getting three systems up and running in three weeks probably helped a bit.. hehehe.

Everyone should add one new system before the end of phase I, just to boost our team rankings! I did mine, where are yours? ;-) lol

Cuper

Sorry to hear about the broken Monitor!!!:( Just curious how was VNC?? Is it easy to setup? I was thinking of putting it on a couple of machines but haven't had any time to just fool around for countless hours:D Always seems like there is something that I should do before starting something new:) Minus getting a dual:D:D

SpeeDj

Cuper said:
Sorry to hear about the broken Monitor!!!:( Just curious how was VNC?? Is it easy to setup? I was thinking of putting it on a couple of machines but haven't had any time to just fool around for countless hours:D Always seems like there is something that I should do before starting something new:) Minus getting a dual
VNC, which is now at www.realvnc.com is VERY easy to set up, you can access it with the included viewer by either machine name or IP Address, it's a snap and you can put each machine on a different port so that if you want to access them from the internet anywhere in the world you can :)

Highly recommended utility.

J :cool:

OP
J

jokrswild

yeah, i found it really easy, and it's completely cross platform. the viewer program for windows is only 216 kb.

racecar12

jokrswild said:
Well, Eric's girlfriend's roommate opened our room door too much and too hard, and slammed into it.. It fell off the computer i was getting to run, and it broke. No fun at all.

I hope they are paying for a replacement or work out some sort of restotution;) Sorry to hear about the monitor and glad you found vnc:beer:

SpeeDj

Digital Pimp said:
is vnc the same thing as remote desktop for winxp?

Digital
Kind of minus the fact that VNC isn't proprietary to MS which makes it all the better and remote desktop only shipped in 2k and XP I believe, VNC works with all MS os's.

Just my two cents...

J :cool:

OP
J

jokrswild

remote desktop (terminal services) doesn't work in 2k pro.. only in the server series (server, advanced server, datacenter server). Atleast that's what i got of off ms's site..

Yodums

Wow dude, she must be insane! Sorry to hear for the loss but at least VNC was there to compensate any loss WUs if you hadn't discovered the program :eek:

Yodums