• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Broken pin of socket 775 motherboard - how screwed am I?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

JJShaw

Hi, first time poster, excuse me if I fail to follow any forum etiquette around here, I'm trying my best to be brief and to the point.

While trying to install a xeon L5410 CPU into a socket 775 motherboard (Asus P5B premium) and cutting off a few plastic bits for it to fit, I somehow managed to break off a pin - according to the pinout,E29, which is defined as FC26 ("FCx - FC signals are signals that are available for compatibility with other processors.") Will this affect the functioning of the board in any way? I can't find any info about these type of pins anywhere.

I also managed to bend two other ones (I know, I know...), D1 and D30 - bent the former back into position easily (of course, it a "reserved" pin, so essentially useless), and the latter... well, not perfectly, but hopefully it'll work, it's defined as VTT - Miscellaneous voltage supply, which as far as I know is sorta redundant anyway and "just" a power pin.

So, what I'm asking basically is... how badly did I mess up?

Last edited:
The board will never work again.
Pins that are 'reserved' or VSS (ground) are the only ones that are expendable, and even thats iffy.

Last edited:
Back