• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

broken pin on SSD power connector

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

trents

I have a 120 gb SSD with a broken #9 power pin. Seems to work but I haven't tested it thoroughly. A diagram I found has both pins #8 and #9 listed as 5v. Does it need both to function normally?

petteyg359

Likes Popcorn
I have a 120 gb SSD with a broken #9 power pin. Seems to work but I haven't tested it thoroughly. A diagram I found has both pins #8 and #9 listed as 5v. Does it need both to function normally?

There are three pins for each voltage (plus three ground pins separating each voltage, for 15 total), not just two.

Probably depends entirely on what model drive it is. The spec only covers the power connector itself AFAIK. The drive could be using all three pins on a single circuit just to have lower current across each pin, or as a backup just for your case where one pin fails, or it could have two separate internal circuits. If your drive is working, then it's obviously not the second case for that drive. :) I expect that's the same on every drive, though, because doing it any other way would just add pointless complexity.

Last edited:
OP
trents

trents

Yeah, you're correct. Three 5v pins counting the pre charge pin.

Attachments

• SSD pinout.PNG
    SSD pinout.PNG
    23.1 KB · Views: 107