• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

broken tualeron?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

f00t

After performing the 1ghz celeron A mod on mine, it posted on my old Abit Vl6 as 167x6.0 at 1.45v. It was unstableso I decide to raise the voltage to 1.65v with the vid pin mod. For some reason something fried. I think it was the mobo because I tried my old p3 733 afterwards and it wuld not run. I then ordered a new mobo which I was told is tualatin ready.

My question is "will my celeron work with that board at all without the 3 pins I removed for the mod? If so, will it be recognized as a celeron A or a p3 and how stable will it be?"

I hae heard of people dropping their 1ghz celeron A into a tualatin board with the 3 pins missing and it worked fine.Thanks for all the help in advance, I know many of you know more than I do about these mods. Getting new mobo in 2 days (hopefully).

-f00t-

looktall

the reason it was unstable is because you were trying to run it at 167mhz. and no, it wasn't 167x6. it was 167x10.
it's a very select few tualatins that can run above 1600mhz, and even fewer that can do it at, or near stock volts.

i don't know if this instability cause the mobo to die. maybe it was just bad timing?

i've heard of people using the cpu with the three pins gone as well. i don't know if that is common, or just luck.

OP
f00t

f00t

When the pc first booted it posted as "intel pentium 3 1002mhz (167x6.0). I checked the bios and set the fsb to 100mhz and multiplier to 10 at 1.45v. It still posted as 1002mhz (167x6.0) and there was nothing that I could do to change it with the bios, mobo, or cpu. Hopefully I will be one of the lucky ones : ) Getting mobo tomorrow, hopefully.

jmsandrsn

I was able to get a CPU without the 3 pins working in my ST6 so hopefully it will work in your system. Good luck!!

OP
f00t

f00t

I got the new mobo Aopen mx34. I was told that it was tualatin ready but ifnot then they would sent me a tualatin ready board a.s.a.p. The problem is that I just found out thes my psu also fried and will try to get a new one next week.