• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

BSOD hell, need major help please.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

silentdeth

Registered
My rig:
2 WD 160 GB HDs (IDE)
CPU
MOBO
Ramx2
GPU: X800 pro agp
PSU 520W
Sound Card
DVDRW
and a CDRW drive as well.

And now my problem. A couple of days ago I started getting BSODs at the login screen, or within 2-3 mins of logging in. The error given is DRIVER_IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL ... Stop 0xD1, sometimes it list a driver sometimes it doesn't. Also sometimes the error is MACHINE_CHECK_FAILED or something to that effect, I didn't write that one down. I assumed the driver was probably a windows driver since I hadn't installed anything in the past several months, so I proceeded to boot from the windows CD and repair/reinstall windows, this was a bad idea. Now the BSOD occur during the 2nd part of the installing after it reboots for the first time, and the install cannot finish. Further investigation revealed that most of the drivers in the BSODs are from the MOBO, usb driver, HD controller, and Ethernet in order of prevalence. But, about 10% I get a windows driver listed as well, the QoS scheduler for instance. I went to this: http://www.ultimatebootcd.com/ site and downloaded a boot CD with a bunch of tools on it, and managed to add the latest BIOS update to it as well, latest being a term used loosely as its dated 2005. I did flash the BIOS, but that did not help any. Also, I have tried unplugging all PCI cards, everything but the gfx card, even getting an old HD and trying to install windows onto it, all has met with the same BSOD errors preventing me from completing the install. I have also taken out 1 stick of memory at a time and tried booting with that, still having the same errors. Currently I am running Memtest86+ from the boot CD to double check the memory, but I kinda doubt that is the problem at this point.

I downloaded the latest driver from nvidia for my mobo, but I cant install them from dos and don't know of any way to be able to without windows, which I cant use because it is stuck in mid-install. If anyone can assist with this I would greatly appreciate it.

If there is no way to repair the problem, I would like advice for upgrading. I want to keep as much of my current hardware as possible as I am on a very tight budget. I also want to get stuff good enough to last me at least a couple of yrs. As far as my computer use, I use it heavily. I play most types of games from FPS to MMOs and also use it for work doing engineering calculations/simulations as well as some light programming. I had hoped to upgrade around x-mas, when I would have more money. Right now I have 2-400$ if I switch to ramen and walking to school/work.
Any help that can be provided would be greatly appreciated, I am at my wits end, and have a project due the 31st, with all the work trapped on my malfunctioning comp I'm about to go insane.

If you're continuing to get BSOD's, I would suspect the ram. I started to get random BSOD's on a regular basis, then it was constant.

Test each stick with Memtest86

Also in the bios what are your temps?

I see some problems with how you're going about your troubleshooting. First, you seem to be assuming that this is some type of driver problem because that's what you see in the BSOD text. Unfortunately, the BSOD messages rarely give you any useful information for diagnosing problems. They can be caused by hardware or software problems, and faulty RAM can bring up many different BSOD messages. Second, you state that you "doubt" the RAM is at fault at this point. Why? In my experience, and I believe most people would agree with me, bad RAM (or unstable RAM settings) is by far the most common cause of instability. I've had more than half a dozen memory modules go bad on me over the past 5 years or so, and every time the first symptoms were BSODs. Even if Memtest86+ passes for both modules, do not rule out a memory problem. I've encountered several situations in which my bad RAM would not be flagged by Memtest86+, even if left looping for 12+ hours. In those cases, only Prime95 torture testing with a single stick of RAM would reveal the bad stick. For these reasons here is what I suggest that you do:

Run the "Mersenne Prime Test" from the UBCD (under Mainboard Tools) with one stick of memory installed. If it runs for 4+ hours without an error, replace the memory stick with the other one and re-run the test (note: screen will go black during the test, so press a button on the keyboard to bring the display back up). BTW, if you're overclocking at all, return all settings to stock before doing this.

ok thx, Ill double check. I did run memtest86+ for 6 passes, but Ill try that other program. I also didnt think it would be the ram because that would mean both sticks are bad? Because I took out each stick and booted with the other, still receiving the same error.

ok thx, Ill double check. I did run memtest86+ for 6 passes, but Ill try that other program. I also didnt think it would be the ram because that would mean both sticks are bad? Because I took out each stick and booted with the other, still receiving the same error.

I agree I would be doubting the RAM too, it sounds like the Motherboard.

For these reasons here is what I suggest that you do:

Run the "Mersenne Prime Test" from the UBCD (under Mainboard Tools) with one stick of memory installed. If it runs for 4+ hours without an error, replace the memory stick with the other one and re-run the test (note: screen will go black during the test, so press a button on the keyboard to bring the display back up). BTW, if you're overclocking at all, return all settings to stock before doing this.

I attemped to run the mersenne prime test, what I got was a bunch of
"01:00: rw=0, want=4559, limit=4096
attempt to access beyond end of device"
followed by
"Segmentation fault"

does that mean the memory is bad or that the test just couldnt run?

How bout boot in safe mode ? Still BSOD as well ?

yeah that would indicate a driver problem most likely

followed by
"Segmentation fault"

could be memory, although I am leaning towards CPU or motherboard here, but maybe some of the experts can step in and clarify.

can you get into safe mode?

yeah that would indicate a driver problem most likelyQUOTE]

Not if he is running on a fresh install, or having issues while installing. Seems like a hardware problem, anything overheating?

followed by
"Segmentation fault"

That message indicates that the program couldn't run (boot). The UBCD attempts to boot a very light Linux OS for running the tests. It should give you various options for booting (Normal, Safe, etc.). Try some of the other options and see if you're able to get it running. When the Mersenne Prime Test starts successfully, it should tell you something about the math it's doing (FFT size) and update every 5-10 minutes or so.

Did you ever complete your Memtest86+ testing on the sticks individually?

How bout boot in safe mode ? Still BSOD as well ?

I attempted to use safe mode before anything else I tried, and still received BSODs. I then attempted to reinstall windows, and since I cannot complete the install I dont know if safe mode would tell me anything, but I just tried it and still got a BSOD. The error I am getting when the comp attempts to boot from the HD to finish the windows install is "Driver_irql_not_less_or_equal" ... stop 0x000000D1. Usually it list the driver as "atapi.sys" which I think is the HD driver? This also happens when I use a different HD and try to reformat the disk and do a fresh install.

To follow up on the memory, I took some memory out of an old comp, check the manual to make sure the mobo supported it and tried to repair the windows install with that, the result is the same "Driver_irql_not_less_or_equal" BSOD.

As for temp, it has been running a bit warm for the past month, the AC thermostat has stopped turning on the AC when it should and the repair guy never showed up to fix it. Also its still in the upper 80s F (77F=25C) this time of yr. I have been cranked up the AC and been waiting between test for it to cool down to room temp to try to eliminate any kind of cooling issues. I did notice one fan has failed, but Im not sure it was a major fan, its well um like this.
| is the case
|==[] <- intake fan
|[] [] Cpu fan/HS
^bad fan

All the other fans that I can see, PSU, gfx card, CPU, intake, mobo are running.

So starting at everything room temp, the memory from an old computer, 1 HD, 1 CDrom drive, and a gfx card. I boot and windows attempts to load to finish the installation, I see the windows logo screen with the little progress bar under it, the bar moves a tiny bit and then BSOD.
Once today using the old memory I got it to get to the screen where windows
started to finish the install, unfortunately it ask for a driver disk which was in the DVDRW drive that I had unplugged, so I had to reboot to get to it, that corrupted the install files and I had to start all over trying to repair the windows installation. Now Im back to BSODs on boot no matter what I try.
So the answer is look for a new mobo? cpu?

Last edited:
It sounds like your mobo is having trouble communicating with the hard drive, and maybe even the optical drive since you're getting strange errors when trying to run tests from the UBCD. I'm not sure what to tell you other than to check all your connections, reset BIOS settings to default, and try to run those tests from the UBCD using the different load options. If that fails, it might be time to try a new mobo.

yeah that would indicate a driver problem most likely

Not if he is running on a fresh install, or having issues while installing. Seems like a hardware problem, anything overheating?

You can easily get problems with a fresh install. I have had this many times...

In any case I should have elaborated and said:

if he boots into safe mode and does not receive BSOD's, then it is most likely a driver issue, as safe mode bypasses most drivers.

Oh well, there goes that idea.

do what killr said. Reset the BIOS: remove the power cord and motherboard battery, and leave it like this overnight, for at least 8 hours...

You can easily get problems with a fresh install. I have had this many times...

In any case I should have elaborated and said:

if he boots into safe mode and does not receive BSOD's, then it is most likely a driver issue, as safe mode bypasses most drivers.

Oh well, there goes that idea.

do what killr said. Reset the BIOS: remove the power cord and motherboard battery, and leave it like this overnight, for at least 8 hours...

OK to make sure I follow, by reset the BIOS you just mean to go into the setup screen and restore the factory settings right? Not somehow flash the BIOS back to an older version?

What Ive done it unplug it and take out the battery, so now Ill take a nap while it does too and see if that works and report back with any results.

OK to make sure I follow, by reset the BIOS you just mean to go into the setup screen and restore the factory settings right? Not somehow flash the BIOS back to an older version?

What Ive done it unplug it and take out the battery, so now Ill take a nap while it does too and see if that works and report back with any results.

taking out the battery is resetting the bios. it just changes all the settings back to the factory defaults. there's not flashing involved. you usually don't need to do it unless it won't boot due to unstable OCs or other odd situations.

The error I am getting when the comp attempts to boot from the HD to finish the windows install is "Driver_irql_not_less_or_equal" ... stop 0x000000D1. Usually it list the driver as "atapi.sys" which I think is the HD driver? This also happens when I use a different HD and try to reformat the disk and do a fresh install.

So starting at everything room temp, the memory from an old computer, 1 HD, 1 CDrom drive, and a gfx card. Once today using the old memory I got it to get to the screen where windows started to finish the install, unfortunately it ask for a driver disk which was in the DVDRW drive that I had unplugged, so I had to reboot to get to it, that corrupted the install files and I had to start all over trying to repair the windows installation. Now Im back to BSODs on boot no matter what I try.
So the answer is look for a new mobo? cpu?

ATAPI can be a HD but is more commonly used when talking about CD-ROM drives. You already tried a new HD so cross that out. Since you unplugged the DVD-ROM drive and then were able to boot then I would say either try replacing the ribbon cable the drive is attached to, then if no luck, try a new CD/DVD-ROM drive, also try putting the drive on another IDE port if you have another one, if the only other IDE port you have is connected to the HD then take the HD out and try booting off the CD-ROM drive by itself. Try booting that UBCD again rather than installing Windows, it will make testing these little things easier.

Although I can't say I've ever seen a system not want to boot from the hard drive because of the CD-ROM drive, it still does make sense this is the issue when running from Live CD's and the Windows installer.

So its been several hrs, and I booted back up, received a cmos checksum error, continued, then received a machine check error BSOD Stop 0x0000009C. I then rebooted, look at the BIOS settings, but didnt change anything. Rebooted again and we are back to our old friend atapi.sys BSOD. Tried 3 more times, same error.
So now I just unplug both the CD and DVD and boost just with the HD, another BSOD.

Next I try using the DVD drive to repair windows instead of the CD drive, this time I get a BSOD, same error except no driver is listed, attempted twice more with the same result.

I should also reiterate I am not having any trouble at all booting from the windows CD and starting the repair, it is only after it finishes with the boot from CD part and attempts to boot from the HD that I am having issues, the part where theres approximately 39 mins to go. Would that not rule out bad HD/CDroms as well as bad connections to them?

Did you change the cable/s that you are using?

Also how is everything setup? Is the HD PATA or SATA? If PATA does it have it's own IDE port or does it share one with the CD/DVD-ROM?

I think a few more things to rule out, but I'm still pushing for motherboard failure. Do you have another PSU to try in the system? I doubt that is the problem but before buying new parts it's best to try everything.

So its been several hrs, and I booted back up, received a cmos checksum error, continued, then received a machine check error BSOD Stop 0x0000009C. I then rebooted, look at the BIOS settings, but didnt change anything. Rebooted again and we are back to our old friend atapi.sys BSOD. Tried 3 more times, same error.
So now I just unplug both the CD and DVD and boost just with the HD, another BSOD.

Next I try using the DVD drive to repair windows instead of the CD drive, this time I get a BSOD, same error except no driver is listed, attempted twice more with the same result.

I should also reiterate I am not having any trouble at all booting from the windows CD and starting the repair, it is only after it finishes with the boot from CD part and attempts to boot from the HD that I am having issues, the part where theres approximately 39 mins to go. Would that not rule out bad HD/CDroms as well as bad connections to them?

This may help, maybe not:

http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=329284&sd=RMVP

With your previous tests above, the suggestion of bad motherboard may be correct but it's not conclusive. No way to check them.

Back