• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

SOLVED BSOD IRQ less or equal after malware, even in safe mode

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

valzi

Registered
Hey guys. I just got the "system tool" virus/malware. I booted in safe mode to run Malwarebytes to get rid of it. During the scan, I got a BSOD with the error "IRQ less or equal." This happens every time I spend more than a few minutes in safe mode now.

I've been running Avira Antivir, Super Antispyware, and Spybot Search and Destroy from Hirens to get rid of the malware. However, the BSOD and the malware remain. The only way to run Malwarebytes seems to be from safemode, where it doesn't have enough time to complete before BSODing.

:bang head

The minidumps are here: http://dl.dropbox.com/u/570881/bsod_dumps.zip

If you just want the most recent, it's here: http://dl.dropbox.com/u/570881/021711-35615-01.dmp

Thanks for the forthcoming help! :D

Are you overclocked at all? That stop error is usually associated with an unstable system, namely memory. If so, drop it to stock to see if it helps.

You have one of two scenarios since you can't repair it.

1) Pull the drive and cleanse it from another computer. Make sure auto-run is disabled, for security reasons.
2) Backup data from another computer, wipe the drive and reinstall Windows from the problem machine.

The time it takes for you to find a solution and fix it (if one even exists) is going to be far greater than just fixing the problem once and for all. If the malware has actually damaged Windows to the point it throws stop errors, that is when you start over. Not even worth saving.

I'm not overclocking anything. I also ran memtest86 from the hirens boot disk with no errors.

I only have a laptop, so I can't virus/malware scan the drive on another computer at this point. If I need to copy data, I'll just do it on the same computer since I can do it from a Hirens or Ubuntu disk.

Sidenote: the newest dump seems to say that ntoskrnl.exe is the cause of the error, I just noticed in BlueScreenView. I think I'll try the solution (chkdisk /f) given in the second post here too: http://www.sevenforums.com/crashes-debugging/23643-ntoskrnl-exe-bsod.html

Is there a difference between chkdsk /f and sfc /scannow ?

Chkdsk checks the hard drive, partitions and the file system itself.

Sfc checks the operating system files to ensure they aren't broken and haven't been modified.

So yes, they are not related.

ataport.sys is causing your crash, if I read the dump correct. update/re-install your chipset drivers and see if that helps.

Turns out there was nothing wrong with any drivers. I ran Avira Antivir from a Hirens disk, restarted in safemode, ran sfc /scannow, rebooted, and then scanned with Malwarebytes. Now everything is in working order. Thanks for the attempts, guys!

Back