• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

SOLVED BSOD Troubleshooting

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

JustAnotherUser

Hello. Wondering if anyone has any experience with blue screens of death or hardware testing. I have been getting BSOD’s every 30-45 minutes of pc use for the last 2 days. No minidump files are being created. Yes, I have adjusted the type of file and location but still no file is being created. I built the PC (Windows 7 64 bit) and it is less than 2 years old. The OS drive is an Crucial M4 SSD. It seems like a hardware issue to me. The system will hang, then freezes up, then the screen will turn black. It often takes a few minutes for the BSOD screen to come up after hanging. What do you think is wrong with it and what should I test next?

Notes:
• BSOD’s in safe mode with networking
• No significant changes to software or hardware recently
• BSOD’s while idle with no specific programs running
• There is plenty of extra space on my SSD

Troubleshooting Notes:
• All PC Fans working
• All Hardware and cables are connected properly
• Virus/ Malware/ Spyware scanned and passed
• Action center/eventviewer does not provide useful information besides pc shut off unexpectedly (power turned off)
• System restored to 6 days ago (was stable then) and still bsod’s
• Passed Memtest86 with 6 passes, no errors

BSOD Error 1: Occurs most often. The codes in the parenthesis () will change
“A Process or thread crucial to system operation has unexpectedly exited or terminated.”
Ox000000F4 (0x0000000000000003, 0xFFFFFA8007274060, 0xFFFFFA8007274340, 0xFFFFF800023DB470)

BSOD Error 2: Happened Twice
C0000135 “Program can’t start because %hs is missing from your computer”

Last edited:
Followup and Resolution

Update: After extensive browsing, it appears that similar crashes have been happening to other people with the same SSD. Apparently the Crucial M4 drives becomes unresponsive after a certain amount of power on time and cause crashes every hour or so. My drive was purchased when they first came out and had the first firmware on it. The resolution is to update the firmware. Since I updated the firmware and I haven’t had another BSOD. Links below are for reference in case someone else has similar issues or a Crucial M4 SSD.

Crucial discusses the Issue:
http://forum.crucial.com/t5/Solid-State-Drives-SSD/BSOD-Crucial-M4/td-p/79098

Source/Assisting Post:
http://www.sevenforums.com/bsod-hel...00000f4-happens-idle-not-no-pattern-seen.html

Back