• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

BSOD while playback on DVD

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

jshake

Was not sure of where to post this. I have got this BSOD once when streaming video and twice during dvd playback.
The system specs are:

Motherboard< Asus M5A907 R2.0
CPU< AMD 1090t- Overclocked to 4.0 GHZ ( Prime 95 Blend Stable for 4 hours )
Ram< AMD Performance- 8 GB ( 2X4 @ 1333 Mhz ).
Cooler< Corsair H100I ( 4 Fan Push Pull )
PSU< Coolermaster RS 460 ( Not the best I Know ).
GPU< Asus HD 5450
DVD RW- Basic
SSD< Crucial 250 Gb
Case< None ( Open Air Test Bench )
This was the Mini Dump:

Dump File : 011715-5865-01.dmp
Crash Time : 1/17/2015 4:02:45 PM
Bug Check String :
Bug Check Code : 0x00000124
Parameter 1 : 00000000`00000000
Parameter 2 : fffffa80`07822028
Parameter 3 : 00000000`b61a4000
Parameter 4 : 00000000`00000135
Caused By Driver : hal.dll
Caused By Address : hal.dll+12a3b
File Description : Hardware Abstraction Layer DLL
Product Name : Microsoft® Windows® Operating System
Company : Microsoft Corporation
File Version : 6.1.7601.17514 (win7sp1_rtm.101119-1850)
Processor : x64
Crash Address : ntoskrnl.exe+76e80
Stack Address 1 :
Stack Address 2 :
Stack Address 3 :
Computer Name :
Full Path : C:\Windows\Minidump\011715-5865-01.dmp
Processors Count : 6
Major Version : 15
Minor Version : 7601
Dump File Size : 292,152
Dump File Time : 1/17/2015 4:03:44 PM

This cpu has been overclocked most of its life. I have done some research online that stated it may be a L2 cache issue. I know the dump points to hardware problem , But sure how to find out which piece of hardware that maybe causing it. The CPU, Motherboard , Ram Ect. I will add I have reset to default and cleared cmos. I am have updated to the latest bios. Just wondering if anyone has came across this issue and solved it.
Thanks
Jshake

How old is the PSU and system?

If the PSU is 4+ years old, and was used a lot...it might be getting electronically noisy. That's a good overclock for a 1090t, up there toward's the edge of that chip, where clean power is an absolute requirement.

Yet, sometimes these things are OS configuration, especially if the machine has been in use a long while. All those updates, to the OS and AV, drivers, etc...there can be some tangled mess occasionally.

My point is that, if this were a new setup (even of old hardware), I wouldn't think along those lines. When a machine that's been stable a long while goes nuts, PSU, cables, gunk, card/RAM seating and operating system are just as likely culprits as mal-adjusted overclocks.

My first reaction when a long standing stable machine does this is back off to stock speeds and proceed with diagnosis. Eliminate possibilities to isolate the problem. That is, with a long standing machine you no isolation between hardware and operating system issues with which to begin.

We tend to assume users are having overclock issues because, well...this is overclockers...most are setting up new systems, but the older machines require we isolate causes.

For that I always keep a clean OS install handy on some other drive (sometimes tucked in my desk).

Thanks for the replies

I put the overclock back, I set it to default to try to diagnose the problem. This was the overclock when problem occurred. The power supply is new, Not what I wanted to use on this set up. It was all the local pc shop had in shop and it was cheap. I am going to upgrade PSU when money permits. I will probably go with a 650+ Gold either Corsair or Seasonic. As for the overclock the attached pics are a 2 hour run of Prime 95 blend. I know I am right at the temp wall, but it appears every thing seems to be within limits. The GPU is also new.

Attachments

• 1.PNG
    1.PNG
    70.5 KB · Views: 35
  • 2.PNG
    2.PNG
    33.3 KB · Views: 34
Did you evaluate the min idump file with "Who Crashed" yet. If not, I would suggest doing that. This could be a driver issue as well. I was having similar issues as you, intermittent blue screen, and it turned out to be a buggy video driver issue.

Thanks Trents I will do that and check the video drivers. I thought they were up to date. I will also check to see if there may be any Geforce drivers that remained after I switched out the old card. I was sure that all Geforce drivers were deleted, but who knows I may have missed something. There may a conflict.

jshake

Sometimes it is the new video drivers themselves that are the problem so that you would want to roll back to an earlier one that was not buggy.

Back