• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Budget card, $75ish

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
i should probably edit the title cause no one bothers reading through the posts

1400x1050 but I have one downstairs that goes up to 1920x1200 which I plan on switching to because my current integrated card crashes constantly

about the dual slot - I just don't think I have the room.

1400x1050 but I have one downstairs that goes up to 1920x1200 which I plan on switching to because my current integrated card crashes constantly

about the dual slot - I just don't think I have the room. Do you need 2 PCI-Ex16 slots?

No, it just means the cards hangs over the slot below it. Depending on the layout of your slots, it usually means you lose 1 PCI (non-express) slot. Let me dig around my photobucket and see if I have a pic showing how it works out.

I really do think you could get away with running a 4770 on that PSU, thanks to it's very miserly power consumption, even if you have to use a 2xmolex->6pin PCIe adapter. 40nm shows some real promise.

edit: OK, this is an older picture, but that's a 9800GX2. See how the bracket screws into 2 spots on the back of the case? The actual PCB where it plugs into the mobo is in the upper position. You can see the empty PCI slot just below it, and then the slot blower that's sitting over the bottom slot. Those could just as well be cards, so as long as you don't have more than 3 total cards in the system, you shouldn't have trouble fitting a dual slotter.

DCAM0084.jpg

Last edited:
as already stated. You do not need a single slot card in that case if you are only running one PCI card. Gateway shows you have 4 expansion slots.

Secondly I do not think you need a uATX psu

http://support.gateway.com/s/CASES/GERSHWIN/3507057Rrv.shtml
http://support.gateway.com/s/CASES/GERSHWIN/3507057Riv.shtml

That shows a full size ATX PSU.

You could help us help you if you could measure the length of it, as well as clearance fro the front of the PSU to the optical drive bays.

The do sell "short" PSUs under the ATX specification. You should be able to get a 450-500W in there with no trouble.

You will read that Gateway uses proprietary 20-24pin sockets however at least as off 2002 I have not seen any. I have replaced PSUs in only 3 gateway machines though.

assuing the length of your PSU is as long as it appears in the pictures

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817371005

or

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817371023

Will work just fine

I can run dual slots then, but does that make a much wider selection in my choice? Thanks for clarifying that, anyhow

I'll try and pry open the computer later to measure, but my dad stated that the psu was "different" and that the plug is "weird"

EDIT: Also, is overclocking the video card possible on a gateway board? I know the CPU is locked

I can run dual slots then, but does that make a much wider selection in my choice? Thanks for clarifying that, anyhow

I'll try and pry open the computer later to measure, but my dad stated that the psu was "different" and that the plug is "weird"

EDIT: Also, is overclocking the video card possible on a gateway board? I know the CPU is locked

Video cards are different. They (usually) overclock just fine in software.

As far as the CPU, there may be a padmod you can do to the thing, I'm not familiar with the Gateway mobo or 6320 though.

well the CPU is stock 1.86ghz. the intel sticky says its 7x200mhz but I believe its FSB is 266mhz and my mobo only supports up to 1066 so I don't think there's anything I can do there

going off topic, will check psu dimensions soon

by soon i meant like a week

PSU is 5.7x3.2"

I'd say from the end of the PSU to the front of the case is about 16" (total case length is like 19.5"ish)

are there any differences between uATX and ATX besides size?

Last edited:
Hmm quick google shows in MM 150mmx86mm for width and heigth. (5.9" x 3.4")

Micro ATX Form factor
5" Wide X 2.5" Tall X 4 " Deep

I would see if you can pickup a PSU locally. IF it does not fit, you can return it no problem.

lol, i assumed two sides were equal. i'll try and measure the third tomorrow

the only local place i know of would be futureshop so i don't think returning used is an option

Back