• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

budget gaming pc vs laptop?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

cheaptoad

Registered
I've been reading a bunch of threads about building a cheap gaming PC for around $500.

How's this instead.
A nice i5 laptop.

I have a 27" monitor, keyboard, mouse, external HD.

All I have to do is hook the sucker up to my monitor.

I'm not looking t6o play any FPS just Wow, Dungeon Age, League of Legends. Stuff like that. I can play all those on my current PC but, it's a bit slow.

Pentium Dual-Core E5200 @ 2.5GHz
NVIDIA GeForce GT 630
3 Gig ram
Gigabyte EP45-UD3L Motherboard

Also, I wouldn't mind suggestions on a laptop. Screen size doesn't matter.

If you guys think a pc is better I'll probably go that way.

Again, suggestions welcome

Cezar

I think the key for a good gaming experience is a discret video card. I do not know much about your processor, but try to get a better video card. I think It will help a lot. GTX 650 will accelerate your gaming system. If I am wrong correct me. I am telling this cause I have a laptop with AMD Phenom II x4 processor which has 4 cores, but vieo card Mobility Radeon HD 4250. Processor should be fine, but video card aperantly slowers my games. It can not handle such games as Europa Universalis 4.

To conclude all of the above, budget PC is better than laptop. Though, if you need a laptop for studying, you will be probably better off with laptop.

If I am wrong somewhere correct me.

Also wait until more experienced OC.com users answer you.

Last edited:
OP
C

cheaptoad

Registered
Thanx. I'm going to make a decision after I get a few more responses

bob4933

a 500$ computer will absolutely wreck a 500$ laptop (new vs new anyway). IF you need the portability anyway, well then your question is already answered based on your necessities. That said, Im not aware of any "nice" i5 laptops for 500$, what were you looking at?

OP
C

cheaptoad

Registered
That's good info. I think I'm leaning towards a desktop now. If it's going too be that much better then a laptop

IronHands

Registered
I would go with a budget PC build. I have what I believe is a great laptop, but it screams gets hot and throttles down. I would not suggest any laptop for the matter no matter how well it cools. I actually have two gaming laptops and from my experience with them I'm in dire need to build a PC to game on. I don't know if I was to say if me being upset with them would be true. I glad to have both, it's that one of them has a serious case of wanting to throttle down, I can't explain how long I have tried to do what I do with them and all along by me just finding out recently capping my FPS to 30 has been to very most and best improvement/adjustment made as that seems to keep things normal and whenever the laptop get hot and doesn't get extremely hot when ever the fps ramps above 30 like going near to 60 of which it can easily do or more but who is to say it will stay at that fps playing something like ffxiv. Al in all I can say I'm happy to be able to game on a laptop but very disappointed on how much throttling can be involved when ever things get hot. CPU throttle, GPU throttle, iGPU (going full blast). I just do not get it whenever it comes to this kind of thing. When ever I game it's very easy for me to watch my GPU clocks go from 825Mhz to 775Mhz. All I can say is that boost works. When I start playing may game and I is "boosted" my GPU is boosted to 825mhz and yea I can tell it because my fps is nice. Then before too long I loose my boost and it's down to 775Mhz which is what it's supposed to run at and it does. So I get a boost of enjoyment and then I loose it. I'm really not trying to say anything bad it's just that I got the whole boost thing wrong whenever I was over looking the specs of such a laptop before I bought it. My laptop works as it should and maybe more than it should. My CPU turbo is 2.4Ghz to 3.4Ghz well it runs at around 3.15 to 3.07 always I would like for it to be 3.35 not sure why I never see 3.4? Watching my CPU in a Ghz/Mhz battle is something I can go without any time I open task manager I can just sit and stare and watch my CPU clocks do the clock battle back and forth up and down. Whenever I have my pc build together I'll disassemble this one laptop and maybe clean any and all contact areas for the CPU and GPU and then re apply thermal paste by using artic silver 5. So if you do get a laptop and you find yourself wondering "is your FPS the same as it was when you 1st booted into this game or 1st time Logging into the game? Don't do like I did and let it drive you insane, don't hurt yourself, and by all means don't let it bother you in anyway form or fashion because all it is... is you lost your "boost" and most of all you may have lost your "turbo". Which happens 1st it doesn't matter, your boost is nitrous and it just runs out get empty, then your turbo falls off you loose it. While both things can come back to you it's just disappointing to loose them both. To make matters worse is to go around thinking "is my GPU even being used"? the FPS lost whenever you loose "boost" can easily make a person think or myself for the matter that my computer broke or a graphics driver broke. I play FFXIV and I actually like to play it and when I do play it I like to always stay in-game sometimes more than usual I'm actually playing the game with lots and lots of action going on "on-screen" but I can easily do something else and whatnot. Long story short when all that happens is the person lost their boost and in many instances lost the turbo also. So then that person "speaking of myself" starts thinking windows broke, flash player broke it, even starts thinking graphics drivers are broke and such.

One thing is for sure I'll do my best and build a PC and see how well it plays FFXIV and then if it plays it well I'll install win8.1 fresh on the laptop avoiding any extra programs that comes from the manufacture. Install graphics drivers and do a clean and re-apply of thermal paste. I hope for the best because of which before I learned that turbo and boost was not intended to be a permanent thing and that it's something that is normal whenever temps rise you will lose turbo and boost. I installed a program to keep things from being throttled and I'm afraid I may have let my temps get too hot. I saw my CPU temp reach 105c sense them I have modified this one laptop so that it should receive much cooler air in a more unrestricted fashion. All in all I feel stupid and dumb for not being better aware of the changes a laptop can go through and what changes can happen. Not being very aware of which and such things all I was wanted to do was play FFXIV to my hearts extent and for me to explain why I felt the need to leave game and see why I lost fps when ever every time I left game my laptop would cool down and then I log back into game and I'm like "hey what ever I did fixed it I have my fps to be somewhat back to normal and then before long I'm feeling like my FPS is not they way it should be. Even with me knowing what I know now it still bothers me a great deal to just deal with what I'm dealing with I'm trying my best to look after myself and I'm doing what I can to keep from hurting my laptop. but when ever I log into game thinking how nice everything is and say "hey this is very playable I can get used to this" and then things seem to be not so nice and then I tell myself well it seems that I notice an FPS drop ugh. So good luck I know every laptop is not the same, but I say if you favor more of a massive multiplayer game experience build a PC.

OP
C

cheaptoad

Registered
Thanx for the info. Now the issue is what I can build for about $500.

I need a case, ps, mb, ram, video card.

Any suggestions?

IronHands

Registered
Corsair has cases as low as 49.99 If you go to their website select "all corsair cases" and sort them price wise high to low.

I'm not suggesting corsair is the best choice I'm just trying to offer a staring point.

Last edited:
OP
C

cheaptoad

Registered
This is what I have so far. I need to trim some cash off.

Type|Item|Price

**CPU** | [Intel Core i5-3570 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor| $209.88 @ OutletPC

**Motherboard** | [ASRock Z77 Extreme4 ATX LGA1155 Motherboard $131.98 @ Newegg

**Memory** | [Corsair XMS3 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory $84.99 @ Amazon

**Video Card** | [Gigabyte Radeon R7 260X 1GB Video Card]| $99.99 @ Newegg

**Case** | [Corsair 200R ATX Mid Tower Case]| $39.99 @ Newegg

**Power Supply** | [Antec Basiq 430W 80+ Certified ATX Power Supply] $47.48 @ SuperBiiz

**Optical Drive** | [Asus DRW-24B1ST/BLK/B/AS DVD/CD Writer]| $18.88 @ OutletPC

**Operating System** | [Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium SP1 (OEM) (64-bit)| $88.98 @ OutletPC

**Total** $722.17

BTW, does anyone use Directron?

Last edited:

bob4933

For gaming, you're better off stepping down the cpu (thats an old i5 anyway, you should be looking at 4450's), and boosting the gpu a bit. The rest looks ok considering.

NiHaoMike

dBa Member
You can reuse parts of your old machine if you're not planning to keep that. That would probably be the case (if it's compatible), optical drive, maybe even the PSU if it's big enough and decent quality.

OP
C

cheaptoad

Registered
You can reuse parts of your old machine if you're not planning to keep that. That would probably be the case (if it's compatible), optical drive, maybe even the PSU if it's big enough and decent quality.

I plan on using my existing hd. I guess I could also use my case and psu and dvd drive

OP
C

cheaptoad

Registered
For gaming, you're better off stepping down the cpu (thats an old i5 anyway, you should be looking at 4450's), and boosting the gpu a bit. The rest looks ok considering.

Can you give me an example

bob4933

Can you give me an example

Im not an intel guy, so I cant much on that side of the house. I do know you can step down the motherboard a bit with an h series and a non k processor, and that should free up some room for a better gpu.

if you go amd, a 6000 series and a mid range mobo would work as well.

OP
C

cheaptoad

Registered
Thanx, im starting to get closer to my goal. The more info the better.

OP
C

cheaptoad

Registered
I can only find one i5-4450. How about a 4460? Or are there other alternatives?