• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Budget gaming rig

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Mastrgamr

Registered
After some time looking at different builds i finally find one that I'm content with and already int he process of buying, but i always like to see feedback from other people and enthusiasts.

my budget is close withing the range of $700 USD

Here's what I have so far:
-(Links are in my sig, just realized :sly: )
-Sony Optiarc 24X DVD/CD Rewritable Drive
-Already have OS (W7 64bit)
-Already have Screen, Keyboard, Mouse.
Total: $490

One question, is it necessary to buy an extended warranty?
tbh i dont see what could happen to the computer when it'll basically be tucked away for the next year or 2. :rolleyes:

technojunkie180

The memory you have is a higher speed than your motherboard supports. Either your RAM is going to be bottlenecked by your motherboard or it just flat out won't work...

For my two cents I'd find a mobo without onboard video since you're buying a dedicated video card, but thats just personal preference for me, it won't affect your system besides maybe saving you a few bucks.

Case is great, I have one and its keeps my system nice and cool and makes very little noise even with the fans on loud.

Are you planning on overclocking? If so you'll need to think about a new HSF because the stock fan won't cut it for very long. If not they usually work fine.

Headstand

As far as the warranty, I do buy them on "electronics" like TVs, cameras... but not on PC components. I did buy a warranty 1 time on my giga mobo which was DOA, 2nd was DOA but third has never had an issue. DOAs were covered by initial purchase, so the warranty wasn't needed.

OP
Mastrgamr

Mastrgamr

Registered
Thanks ill see if I can find a cheaper motherboard that doestnt have onboard graphics.

By the way how do you know the RAM is faster than the board supports? (new to the specifics on computer stuff)

No im not planning on overclocking.

technojunkie180

To find which speeds your motherboard supports go to the specifications tab on newegg for your mobo and look at the memory standard. Then look at the specifications tab for your RAM and look at the speed. The speed of your RAM should be at or below the max value on your motherboard. Though honestly I don't know what happens when you try and use RAM above the standard on a motherboard.

In terms of warranty, I've never bought one and insofar nothing that has died on me has done so within whatever extended warranty time period I would have received. Some people like getting them for piece of mind, knowing that if your parts fail you can get new ones for free is nice, but a lot of the time its just wasted money imo.

OP
Mastrgamr

Mastrgamr

Registered
ok so about this memory, i deceided it might be better to just change what i planned to get i chose THIS

and as far as onboard graphics go, would the extra card im getting addon to the performance of the chipset or will it be like two seperate sets of graphics

technojunkie180

Nice choice. GSkill has been doing pretty well recently in terms of memory and that RAM will do nicely on your mobo.

I've never actually had onboard graphics on a motherboard before so maybe someone else can answer this better but I would think that the onboard graphics would be negated if your motherboard detected a standalone graphics card, so I guess in terms of your question it would be like two separate sets of graphics.

The_Jizzler

and as far as onboard graphics go, would the extra card im getting addon to the performance of the chipset or will it be like two seperate sets of graphics

it will be like 2 different sets of cards. actually i think u can do it a few ways. you could disable the onboard and just use the dedicated card. or i think you can crossfire or some weird stuff with monitors using both ati onboard graphics and a installed ati gpu card.

OP
Mastrgamr

Mastrgamr

Registered
ok so one last thing. i completely forgot about the power box >_>... Im not sure how much power I need.

from reading each of the Specifications on all the parts i roughly calculated i would need a 550W box is that about right?

if so whats the difference between THIS and THIS (besides the price?) I see one says Crossfire support but Im not planning on using that, im basically using my computer as it comes, no tweaks or overclocks.

Last edited:

Nebulous

Señor Senior, Senior
The Corsair unit is far superior than the APEVIA junk. Trust me you don't want to buy the APEVIA.

For a few dollars more you're getting one hell of a power supply made by a reputable company. That's insurance enough.

Btw, where in NYC you at?

Nebulous

Señor Senior, Senior
Good choice on the psu.

I was born and raised in the Bronx. From Castle Hill to Weschester Ave, University, Fordham Road, Woodlawn Ave, Burnside, Jerome Ave, Willis,Cypress, man all over :cool:

OP
Mastrgamr

Mastrgamr

Registered
wow the LIAN-Li does look cool, literally o_O.. I might get this instead lol, this is just what i wanted a crap load of fans. the one i chose was basically the first one i saw and looked cool at first glance so i just said screw Ill buy it.

I couldnt really find anything that looked cool and WAS cool :D thanks for pointing it out. I still think the case i chose looks cooler but I would take performance over looks anyday, maybe one day i can look into modding computers

NssOne

Registered
No offense to you, this is your money, your build, do whatever you like with it, but since you aren't planning on overclocking, I don't see how a Black Edition CPU fits your build. BEs are manufactured to be overclocked. You could save yourself a few bucks and just go with an X2 545. Just that from my perspective it seems to be kind of a waste to get that BE and not use it for its capabilities.

Marshmallow64

I would just get he Black edition incase you do suddenly decide to overclock in the future. Doesn't really hurt to pay a bit more for easy overclocking 1-2 years down the road.

OP
Mastrgamr

Mastrgamr

Registered
Im not sure but I think i read somewhere on these forums that I can unlock 1 or two extra cores on the black ed chip, is that right? becuasue i think that's something I might want to do down the line... (or is that basically the same as overclocking)

atomic ferret

Im not sure but I think i read somewhere on these forums that I can unlock 1 or two extra cores on the black ed chip, is that right? becuasue i think that's something I might want to do down the line... (or is that basically the same as overclocking)

No, that is different than overclocking. I would go with the BE anyway just in case.

What do you plan on doing with your rig anyway? Gaming?