• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Bueno!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

KLowD9x

Hello... I just rebuilt a computer that I had laying around, and I was trying to get it to work with Folding At Home, my main distrobuted computing client. I couldnt get it to work, so I decided instead of letting it go to waste, I would let it go to SETI. I didnt feel like getting the commnand client up and running, so I just went to the SETI page and downloaded the GUI client. How do I join the team? Or is it even necessary?

thanx, KLowD9x

OP
K

KLowD9x

ohhhh this sux!...it says I dont exist when I put in my mail address to get my password...do I have to complete a WU first?

TC

Senior Seti Addict
With an older computer you really should get the command line client. You have to create an account before you can start running the client. You do this the first time you run the client. First you sign up, then they email you the password.

racecar12

Welcome to the team!!! If you just registered you might need to complete one or maybe give it enough time for your registration to become active bufore you can get your password here

OP
K

KLowD9x

This is why I hate command line clients..they dont work...How do I set it up to use my proxy server?

OP
K

KLowD9x

nevermind...I just copied it to the old GUI client directory and its using those files, I still need to know how to change it becuase I cant figure out how to make my IPs static.

OP
K

KLowD9x

Becuase I have a ghetto network (parallel) between my main rig and the little one im using for SETI. Everytime I turn off the main, my IP changes and I have to change the settings for everything to access my proxy server on the other computer. It is getting really hard to do this with SETI in CMDline mode. If I had a way to make it static, it would save me alot of trouble.

papounet

Let me see if I understand your quandary ?

You have a non-permanent Internet connection,
everytime you connect to internet, your main rig receive a IP from the ISP,
your secondary rig, which could be used for seti is connected by parallel cable to the main rig.

in fact the connection type doesn't matter so much, unless I am mistaken.

which OS are your running (win98 SE ???)

have you tried to set up a static IP address in the my computer/properties/network stuff ?, and an you still connect to Internet once you have done that ?

OP
K

KLowD9x

noo, the IP of my ISP doesnt matter...its my internal IP...or my IP that the client computer sees. Everytime I turn off my computer, it changes. I need to figure out how to make it stop changing.

{PMS}fishy

KLowD9x said:
noo, the IP of my ISP doesnt matter...its my internal IP...or my IP that the client computer sees. Everytime I turn off my computer, it changes. I need to figure out how to make it stop changing.

How is your internal IP changing?