• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Buffalo mT -5BC Results

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

johan851

Insatiably Malcontent, Senior Member
This thread has apparently become the official "post your mT -5BC results" thread. Anyone with mT -5BC chips in any form (Buffalo PC3700, OCZ EB series, Kingston Value RAM, Crucial, etc.) should list their overclocking success, or lack thereof, in here.

The following information is required:

Full system specs, including type of RAM, amount of RAM, single or double sided, # of modules, etc. This also needs to include your motherboard and processor. Most other information isn't too relevant, unless you believe otherwise...then go ahead. How you're cooling your RAM would be nice to know.

After your system specs, list your overclocking results. That includes timings, speed, and the voltage you're running through the modules. How you test for stability is good too.

EXAMPLE:

My Setup:
DFI Infinity II Ultra
AthlonXP 1700+
2x512mb Buffalo PC3700 from TBL Memory, double sided sticks.
NB, CPU, GPU all watercooled, with fans over the mosfets and memory (heat isn't an issue)

This system has reached a stable 240fsb and higher with 2-2-2-11 timings and BH-5 memory. I know the motherboard is up to the task, but the memory may be a different matter.

I spent last night compiling this Sandra performance table. I was under the impression that memory timings didn't do much on this memory, though apparently they do have have some effect. The memory wouldn't run CAS 2 at any speed, and CAS 3 (even at 225mhz w/ 3.0v) caused blue screens and reboots right before the Windows desktop loaded. Setting the memory to CAS 3 was the only timing that prevented me from booting into Windows. The timings listed are in the following order: CAS - tRCD - tRP - tRAS.

230MHz, 2.5-3-3-11, 13/15, CPC OFF
3441 @ 93%
3156 @ 85%

230MHz, 2.5-3-3-11, 13/15, CPC ON
3490 @ 94%
3222 @ 87%

230MHz, 2.5-2-3-11, 13/15, 3.0v, CPC OFF
3424 @ 93%
3191 @ 86%

230MHz, 2.5-2-3-11, 9/12, 3.0v, CPC OFF
3452 @ 93%
3189 @ 86%

230MHz, 2.5-2-2-11, 13/15, 3.0v, CPC OFF
3474 @ 94%
3197 @ 86%

230MHz, 2.5-2-2-11, 13/15, 3.0v, CPC ON
3504 @ 95%
3266 @ 88%

This all looks ok...but the problem isn't performance at this point. This memory is actually able to boot up at some pretty aggressive settings.

Earlier I was having difficulty getting Prime95 stability with any of these settings - it would fail instantly. Prime has had issues with my system before and my games seemed to run fine for hours on end, so I decided to ignore Prime for the time being. Unfortunately, at 3.0v, every single one of these settings produces errors instantly in Memtest86. When Memtest produces errors, you KNOW you're not stable. Initially I was going to add heatspreaders to the memory and increase the voltage, but with results like this, I think I'd rather just RMA. This RAM does not meet its rated settings (233MHz 3-3-3-11 @ 2.6v), and apparently it can't even meet them with up to 3.0v. Most people's motherboards max out at 2.9v or so anyway, so this RAM really is not recommended for those folks, or anyone at all IMO. I'm going to continue testing at lower speeds to see what actually is stable at 3.0v. I'm also happy to try out anything you folks want to see.

Reefa Madness believes that this memory does poorly on AMD systems, and overclocks better on A64 setups and especially Intel setups. I wouldn't be surprised if that was the case.

It's possible that this memory I have is simply defective, so I welcome other's results as well.

*EDIT* Keep reading the thread...one of my modules was bad.

Last edited:
well that is somewhat discouraging. thats for the report though. you might shoot a pm to memoryman over at pcperspective forums and see what he has to say. hes a buffalo tech. ill be getting mine in a day or two so ill post up my results then.

yeah sounds like either a set that wont run to specs, or as the reefa man has suggeted. mainly that these arent the best choice for amd non 64 systems

well that is somewhat discouraging. thats for the report though. you might shoot a pm to memoryman over at pcperspective forums and see what he has to say. hes a buffalo tech. ill be getting mine in a day or two so ill post up my results then.
I'm giving them a call tomorrow, actually. Thanks.

*EDIT* At this point I'm thinking of doing an RMA return, to see if some different modules perform a little better. The better sticks of this stuff stack up well against BH-5...it's consistency (as Reefa Madness and many have pointed out) that's the problem.

Last edited:
did you try each stick individually? maybe its just one stick thats giving you problems. that would be nice to know cause it could just be one defective stick (more likely than two). if both sticks were defective i would start to wonder...

i have emailed tom from tblmemory and told him about the results, which johan851 has got, and he said that this is weird because normaly they perform very good! so he also sent me a pic, how they run on his computer!

edit: running with 2,6 vdimm, so with more vdimm they should run maybe @ 2,5-3-2-x

Attachments

• Purrint004.JPG
    Purrint004.JPG
    31.5 KB · Views: 2,181
Last edited:
I suddenly am also having problems with my sticks. Granted, I only have 2.85V to work with, but I am having issues running 233 at stock voltages and timings. I'm going to test each module individually to verify, but haven't had much success running over 220FSB without losing a lot of performance.

flapper your kvr are not running as good as tom's PC3700... maybe because they are 256MB!? i don't know...
because 2.6 volts @ 240 Mhz is ok, with 3.2 volts they should 260+, shouldn't they?

I also have these sticks coming in this week so hopefully I will get better results. Have you tried the sticks single like said above? I might just be the one doing bad.

250 , thats pretty good for unpicked chips- pc3200.. want me to test at 2.6v??

that why i got so excited when i saw the buffalo pc3700 with these micron and posted the thread. cause i figured any of these chips that will run 233 at 2.6v has got to be primo. now im wondering whether amd just aint happy with this stuff or just a couple poor stix. i hope its just a couple poor chips..

UPDATE: Turns out it is one of my sticks holding me back. The good stick is having no problems at 2.75V doing 240FSB, and I'm still climbing (CPU is at 1.65V). Would it be better to RMA the bad stick from the reseller or go directly to Buffalo where I might be able to get a stick that does 233FSb for sure?

i would get hold of the buffalo guy at pcperspective maybe he can rma u a pretested set that runs like crazy.. anyway doesnt hurt to ask...

Odie812 said:
UPDATE: Turns out it is one of my sticks holding me back. The good stick is having no problems at 2.75V doing 240FSB, and I'm still climbing (CPU is at 1.65V). Would it be better to RMA the bad stick from the reseller or go directly to Buffalo where I might be able to get a stick that does 233FSb for sure?

thanks for checking. thats comforting to know (for me at least :) ) bummer for you though :-/

Back