• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Build a Peltier PSU

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
man that would be super awesome if you write a article on how to make a psu to power a 172+watt pelt.

please write a article, I would be very interested:)

silvershad0w said:
Well, at least I can see that there is some interest in it. I can see why, looking at the prices of high-end PSU's. I'll try to come up with an article to post as soon as I get things put together here.

Unfortunantely, there is no way I have the time to build them for people, but its a pretty straightforward design that the article should step through well... Just would take too much time to put these things together for people. Besides, what OC'er wouldnt want to take pride in something that they built themselves. :D

Thanks for the input, hopefully I'll get a few more responses to get a better idea how many people could use something like this. Obviously, not everyone is going to want to do this, since it requires -some- degree of electronic knowlegde, soldering, access to parts, etc.

Excellent plan, Silver, if I wasn't sure I have been doing something wrong with my pelt(ie: two Athlons fried) and so have sold it, I would have bought a self made PSU, something like that if manufactured to fit into a 5 1/4 drivebay would sell like hotcakes!

I'd be awefully interested in an article too.
I don't think pelts need a really super clean supply, just no AC element in it correct? I saw a prebuilt manufacturer that makes it's own supplies with a transformer, bridge rectifier, and a large cap.
That sounds much nicer than the big (and hot running) open frame Lambda I have now. But that 35 amps at 12 volts is sure nice. If only I could fit it in a bay.

*edit* And how rude of me....Welcome to the Forums!

I would be interested in this too. I have built and worked on many different types of power circuitry in the past - low, medium and high voltage power supplies, inverters, regulators and amplifiers - so I could hopefully offer you some degree of help with this if you needed it. I'll keep an eye on this thread!

And WELCOME to the forums here!

PWM is great(I assume you are talking about Pulse Width Modulation), but I am not really sure pelts need that. A basic supply with a constant amperage/voltage is all that is needed really. But it is your design do what you want.

Wish I knew more about electronics as I am very interested in the design.

DorrellCO said:
PWM is great(I assume you are talking about Pulse Width Modulation), but I am not really sure pelts need that. A basic supply with a constant amperage/voltage is all that is needed really. But it is your design do what you want.

Wish I knew more about electronics as I am very interested in the design.

You're right. All you need is a good brute-force linear DC power supply. You don't need voltage regulation or anything...although low ripple might be desirable to keep EMI/RFI away from the CPU.

Hey SilverShadow, since this weekend, I've been doing a little looking up on the net to find the pieces parts to make a pelt psu..the transformer, bridge, cap variety. (K.I.S.S.)

I found a 13.5v 20A transformer, it's big, but only $20. 4.25 x 3.5 x 3.5". I have a yy-server cube, so room isn't a problem.
I also found a bridge rectifier on Digikey (mw3505w) 50v 35A for $4.80.

My question for you is, what size/type capacitor would you recommend? I know it should be large physically, and I prefer screw terminals for large guage wiring, but can't seem to find what size I need. I don't want to steal the one out of my Lambda, though it would be perfect. (as would be the bridges) I don't want to use the Lambda for this project, because it has a distinctive hum when running, and I'm trying to make a very quiet system.
Any suggestions?

Last edited:
Silvershadow, I like your avatar! Awesome vehicles those Abrams tanks.

For a large brute force linear supply I'd use a large capacitor or a bank of capacitors upwards of 50,000 microfarads. At a high current you will need a big filter cap to get all the ripple out.

I have built many linear supplies but no PWM supplies so I'm eager to see how this all unfolds.

silvershad0w said:

I know that it may seem contradictory that building a PWM supply is actually cheaper, and in all practical cases better than linear (for the heat concerns),
I don't care about the heat, but cheaper for PWM is cool. Hope you get that article out. I will try to make one.

Hey silvershad0w!
I was just wondering how the project is going. If I need to start looking for psu to buy rather than build, then let me know. Right now this is my psu if i decide to go with a pelt. keep up the good work!

Very nice looking. I'm assuming it will all fit inside the project box. You're brave, running a switching PSU with line voltage and no step-down transformer. I could never pull it off. It looks like you're on the way. Gotta love the experimenter's breadboard.

silvershad0w said:
Yeah, thats my MOS, 19K, I'm a driver at the moment. I love my job I must say. (Army National Guard)

got a few things to say.. 1

GO ARMY HOOOO RAAAAHHHHH

gonna be a ranger myself got bootcamp in 2 months.

second thing. why dont ya just stick 2 power supplies in 1 case. rig it so that whe one turs on the other does too. not too hard to do. and have it solely dedicated to runnin the pelt and maby just have all ur cooling on 1 psu and all ur others on the other psu.

CRAP !!

That power supply is the answer to many of my problems. I got an extra PSU, but it wont give the volts/amps I need for a decent pelt.
Keep pluggin away Silver_shadow, you've got a great idea...

Back