• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

build for a friend recommendations

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Okay. They were saying you can't get many games and windows with a 500gb. But I think he could get 8 games or so

Okay. They were saying you can't get many games and windows with a 500gb. But I think he could get 8 games or so

That is a silly notion. I have a 240Gb as my primary SSD and I have a couple dozen steam games installed. Given I dont play too many very large AAA games, and I just rotate them when I do, but with 500Gb he should have no trouble installing all his favorites, and he can just move them to the HDD if he stops playing one but doesn't want to delete the files. My MediaPC has a 480Gb SSD and its loaded down with tons of media and games.

That is a silly notion. I have a 240Gb as my primary SSD and I have a couple dozen steam games installed. Given I dont play too many very large AAA games, and I just rotate them when I do, but with 500Gb he should have no trouble installing all his favorites, and he can just move them to the HDD if he stops playing one but doesn't want to delete the files. My MediaPC has a 480Gb SSD and its loaded down with tons of media and games.
Okay thank you

The games he listed are big bf1 is over 60 gigs bf4 80+ with the expansions. AAA games are 30-50 gigs now that's why I say spend the extra on the space

I am a little hesitant to recommend a 5400rpm drive. Is it significantly slower than a 7200rpm? But cool. Thanks

Yes its slower, but since its going to be used for file storage instead of apps and stuff its more than fast enough for that. I have an old WD 5200RPM Green series for my storage drive and even that does like 40-50MB/sec read write which is way more than enough to watch movies or store downloads on.

Okay thanks. Does that build look solid and can be confidently recommended?

Okay thanks. Does that build look solid and can be confidently recommended?

Abolutely! I think your friend will be very pleased. Especially if you can talk him into a little overclocking. It's really not difficult and the cooler you chose will allow him a modest overclock. We could walk him through the process. We've all done it many times and helped many others on this forum to do it.

Abolutely! I think your friend will be very pleased. Especially if you can talk him into a little overclocking. It's really not difficult and the cooler you chose will allow him a modest overclock. We could walk him through the process. We've all done it many times and helped many others on this forum to do it.

You are completely right. Thanks for the reassurance. Ill tell him about it and let him decide. Thanks for your help and everyone elses.

You are completely right. Thanks for the reassurance. Ill tell him about it and let him decide. Thanks for your help and everyone elses.
Best way to get him to "want" to OC his system is set him up with a popular benchmark. This lets the user see measured gains in performance.

Did you remember to include the cost of the OS in all of this?

And speaking of the OS, make sure you don't connect the spinner storage drive until after you are finished installing Windows on the SSD. Windows has a tendency to spread itself onto multiple disks sometimes when it has the opportunity during installation.

Did you remember to include the cost of the OS in all of this?

And speaking of the OS, make sure you don't connect the spinner storage drive until after you are finished installing Windows on the SSD. Windows has a tendency to spread itself onto multiple disks sometimes when it has the opportunity during installation.
Yeah I experienced that one. And no. But we have a copy and key for him.

Back