• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

[Build Log] Virtual Cosmos - Cosmos II VR PC

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Elusid

Registered
Build Log - Virtual Cosmos

Background:
Hello everyone! I've recently started a new build and thought I would share the progress as I go. I spent a lot of time debating which chassis I wanted and ended up going with the Cosmos II. There are many cases out there that fit more in them with little to no modification but I couldn't get over the sleek look. With this particular build, I'm leaning more towards the design and sacrificing a bit in potential crazy overclocking performance. Ultimately, this build is intended to be my plunge into VR gaming. Let's get started.

(rolling parts list)

Case: Cosmos II
PSU: EVGA SuperNova 1000 T2
Cooling Control: Aquacomputer Aquaero 6 XT

Watercooling

• EK-CoolStream SE 360 | 6x EK-Furious Vardar FF5-120
  • EK-CoolStream XE 240 | 4x EK-Furious Vardar FF5-120
  • EK-CoolStream CE 140 | 2x EK-Vardar F3-140ER
  • EK-CoolStream WE 180 | 2x EK-FAN 180 PWM

Log:
The Cosmos II is an awesome case but there's a lot of stuff in there I have no use for. Basically, if it was inside and could be removed, I did.
1.jpg

And then I got out the drill and took out rivets. I removed everything to try and keep it from getting scratched up.
2.jpg

So much more room to work with!
3.jpg

I gutted everything out except the front ports. I removed the main "brain" and JB Welded the top sliding cover shut. I have no use for the built in control system and I can put power and reset somewhere else.
4.jpg

UPS held my radiators and fans hostage for 2 weeks but they finally came! I'm attempting to do push-pull on everything.
EK-CoolStream SE 360 for the top
EK-CoolStream XE 240 for the bottom
EK-CoolStream CE 140 for the back
EK-CoolStream WE 180 for the front (because why not?)
5.jpg

The holes didn't like up 100% so had to make some new ones. Not pretty but they'll be hidden. Had to scoot it forward ever so slightly to fit the rear 140 push-pull in too.
6.jpg

So apparently the original fan had strange spacing so I just cut the whole thing out.
7.jpg

Turned out well.
8.jpg

Fits! Might end up doing something different in the end if those gaps bother me enough. We'll see how it looks when it's lit.
9.jpg

Three fans holding the radiator up through the top.
10.jpg

Still looks the same on the outside so far! Not sure if I want to paint anything yet.
11.jpg

With all the drive cages removed and nothing in the front, there's the very large hole in the top of the case. I spent a lot of time debating what I wanted to put there. At first, I thought maybe a touch screen. Maybe I would do just the fan controller and cover up the rest. But then I thought, why put anything there at all?
12.jpg

The Cosmos II doesn't have a side window, but that hole is big enough, I'm going to make it a front window.
13.jpg

And there you have it. More to come :thup:
14.jpg

Last edited:
Awesome. Can't wait to see more. Sub'd

If I may since I can't help it, if you want a touch screen and a fan/pump controller + air/water/flow sensors, have a look at the Aquaero 6 XT. :D But it does have its own learning curve is the catch.

Awesome. Can't wait to see more. Sub'd

If I may since I can't help it, if you want a touch screen and a fan/pump controller + air/water/flow sensors, have a look at the Aquaero 6 XT. :D But it does have its own learning curve is the catch.

That's what I'm getting except I have ideas for alternate mounting locations ;) That's next.

PSU and fan controller on the way. First build with PWM so I'm getting familiar with it. I'm going to run all the power directly to the PSU and just the PWM and clock to the controller. Each set of radiator fans will be controlled as one unit. I'm really glad I'll have speed control. These things are LOUD at full.

15.jpg

Figuring out stuff to do until my PSU and fan/pump controller come in. I had a bad fan in my batch so I ripped it apart, soldered longer wires directly onto the PCB, and put it back together to see what I'm getting myself into. Not too difficult minus the microscopic tension ring. I'm doing sleeving on individual wires and swapping out the headers for black ones. I'm debating if I want to paint the fans. Still not sure how much color I want in this build. Might just stick with the tubing, sleeving, and lighting for color.

16.jpg

17.jpg

More to come!

I've got the power!!
16.jpg

Easiest way to test the PSU and get the fan controller setup.
17.jpg

Fan controller works! Well, with one fan anyway.
18.jpg

Testing running multiple fans off the same controller channel.
19.jpg

It works, kinda. I can run 4 fans through the controller and the max speed is about 2800RPM, with one fan, the speed is 3000RPM. The power injection didn't work either. If I take the power directly from the PSU and only the PWM and RPM wires to the controller, the fans stay at 100% with no control at all. I'm looking into making an active PWM boosting/splitting circuit.
20.jpg

I took apart one of the working fans, soldered on thicker, longer wires, and put it back together. Still works! Now to do that for the rest of them! I think I'm going to make breakout boards that attach to the radiators, so the wires are far longer then I'll need in the end. The thicker wires will look much better when sleeved.
21.jpg

Did you go into the AQ6 and set up the channel with PWM? By default I believe iirc its set at Voltage control, hence why you're seeing them run @ 100 w/ no control.

Oh, well I hope it's that simple of a fix. I won't be able to take a look at it until tomorrow. Thanks!

Thanks! Nope, just like playing with electronics.

@GTXJackBauer, thanks for the AQ6 tip. That's exactly what the problem was. Switched it over to PWM and I have no problem controlling a full radiator of fans on a single channel with power injection.

Working on reassembling all the fans. Pics soon!

Thanks! Nope, just like playing with electronics.

@GTXJackBauer, thanks for the AQ6 tip. That's exactly what the problem was. Switched it over to PWM and I have no problem controlling a full radiator of fans on a single channel with power injection.

Working on reassembling all the fans. Pics soon!

Glad you got it all worked out. :salute:

Oh and btw, you could mix and match each channel but not from within. So if you wanted to do CH 1 PWM and CH 2 voltage and vise versa you could. Its really a great piece of hardware and one of its kind in the market place.

Another tip, you could add your own custom logo with all the other monitoring templates on the screen. :p

Glad you got it all worked out. :salute:

Oh and btw, you could mix and match each channel but not from within. So if you wanted to do CH 1 PWM and CH 2 voltage and vise versa you could. Its really a great piece of hardware and one of its kind in the market place.

Another tip, you could add your own custom logo with all the other monitoring templates on the screen. :p

That's a great feature. Everything I'm doing is PWM for this build. I'll just need to make sure to adjust them all.

Naked rads
24.jpg

Prep
25.jpg

I only had to send one of these flying into the abyss to realize I needed to come up with a way to contain them.
26.jpg

This was my very simple and effective solution.
27.jpg

The 140mm EK fans have a big notch right above the solder pads. I didn't need to take them apart, which was amazing. EK, you need to do this on all your fans. Those tension rings are horrible.
28.jpg

I couldn't get the PCB off the plastic hub on the 180mm fans. I ended up taking a Dremel to them and cutting a window. Not my first choice... but I'm covering it up with a sticker anyway.
29.jpg

Not terrible...
30.jpg

3' leads on all my fans. Plenty long for what I'll be doing.
31.jpg

That's it for now. Stay tuned!

A friend with access to a mixed media LFP was kind enough to print me some vinyl stickers to mask the back of the fans.
32.jpg

I did a side by side of each fan size. Waiting on applying them all until after I sleeve.
33.jpg

Here's a good shot.
34.jpg

More to come :thup:

Starting to get some of the headers and crimps in the mail. Putting together some functional prototypes.
35.jpg

Just to give an idea on what I'm thinking. Each radiator will have a single PWM cable coming off it.
36.jpg

Might not be the exact placements, but you get the idea.
37.jpg

Finished the smallest one first.
38.jpg

Looks good.
39.jpg

This took some time, but I did it!
40.jpg

It's a rats nest, but it gets the job done. No shorts either. Metered it out.
41.jpg

Came out well. The bottom left connector has the RPM signal.
42.jpg

More to come!

Elusid, do you plan on running 6 fans from 1 motherboard header? You may be drawing to much power if that's the case.

No, I'm building a power injection board. Everything will run off my AQ6, but no power will be pulled through it for the fans. Only RPM and PWM.

Back