• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Build me a gaming PC that will last... im so outdated

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Okay, well it seems ill probably have to go the route of getting a better cpu, and a more I guess the 750 is mid range ? Video card... Then upgrade the card later.. Im looking at the CPU benchmarks video games for the AMD 8350/8320 and Intels 4690 and I gatta say im really not impressed with the AMD cpu... The fps difference is 55% more in some video games....

There is always something new coming around the corner in this type of hobby... lol. And I don't want to wait 6-7-8- months.. I literally cannot play video games I want to play on my current PC.. When I loaded planetside.. and dropped into a battle.. Have you played a video game with 15 fps and severe stuttering because lack of system memory lol.. and this was on the lowest settings haha.

I think Ima pass on the AMD cpu... 8 cores sounds nice and all, but the FPS differences between the I5 and the 8350.. is just insainely large... Litterally 50+% in every gaming benchmark I have seen lol.. I love AMD.. and id consider going to them simply because ima fanboy of the underdog.. but it just doesn't justify itself. Ill just keep my old power supply and my old hard drive.. And Ill upgrade them and the video card when I get more money..

Last edited:
No, 290 will support dx12, as will free windows 10 when it comes out. Dx12 supports true multithreaded gaming so IPC will be less important.
Correct, the 290 will support DX12 too!

W10 upgrade is free if you upgrade within the first year, yep!

Also true the DX12 will help spread the load across CPU cores. The problem is, like any API, is its market saturation (how quickly). It would only work with games that support DX12 and if it was like any other API change, that can take some time (which this person has) and has to be on the games he plays. AAA titles usually find it first, then it trickles down the list. I wouldn't expect quick use though.

290 and 750TI aren't even comparable though.
290 is more comparable with a 780 or titan atm.
True. I was using the two solid build examples. Not comparing them head to head. The OPs budget does not allow him to get a 780 or a Titan, hence why we didn't climb up the Nvidia GPU ladder much. Perhaps a 960, but then you look at its price and compare its performance to the 290 and wonder why a 960 would even be in the conversation. ;)

Last edited:
Correct, the 290 will support DX12 too!

W10 upgrade is free if you upgrade within the first year, yep!

Also true the DX12 will help spread the load across CPU cores. The problem is, like any API, is its market saturation (how quickly). It would only work with games that support DX12 and if it was like any other API change, that can take some time (which this person has) and has to be on the games he plays. AAA titles usually find it first, then it trickles down the list.

This. Games released before DX12 (IE: right now) will only partially support DX12 with major updates, should the developers decide to build them. The only way for a current title to fully support DX12 is for the developers to completely re-release the game, rebuilding it from the ground (API) up. Most won't do that at all, but certainly not until it's lucrative to do so.

Right now, the only game OP has mentioned is Planetside 2, which performs considerably better on Intel systems when compared to an AMD system of a similar level at or above the recommended specs.

Im not a hardcore gamer anymore.. I don't care about Crysis 4 or 10 or whatever they are at now, or Farcry 4 or 5 or what not... You want to know the gaming titles I have played in the last 3-4 years ?

League of Legends, World of Tanks and Planes, Borderlands 2, Divinity Original Sin, Wasteland 2, Elder Scrolls Skyrim, Metro 2033 and last light.. And that's about it..

I mostly play F2P MMO's.. and the last like 7 months I haven't even played a video game... I know how the whole PC world goes.. DX9 came out, DX10 then 11 and the only video games to support duel cores then 4 cores or those direct x version were boring shiny graphicly pretty video games... You know How long video games used DX9 for ? Hell some titles still use it lol.. Nothing really took advantage of 10 or 11 for yeaarss

Ok lets say I purchase something this like this guys suggestion the first poster in my thread.... But I skip the SSD drive, and and skip that 450W powersupply... And Just re-use my PSU and my WD640AAKS hard drive.. This will lower the price of his build to $514.. I could then upgrade the video card to something a little better yes ?

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/GMcPD3

A pretty broad spectrum of games GPU intensity wise. Metro 2033 is a GPU killer, the rest, not so much except maybe Skyrim (with mods).

You could do that, sure. But I will tell you one of the most tangible upgrades to most any system these days is an SSD. Wicked fast boot times, apps come up quick, etc.

I would stick with the SSD and new PSU then get a GPU as needed down the road.

I see.. Yea I haven't experienced an SSD, they were just the talk back then when I built this computer.

Metro 2033 I was able to play on this PC pretty much maxed out and get like 45fps wasn't much of a problem same with Skyrim..

Why honestly do I need a new PSU.. Ok mine is 7 years old yes.. But it runs fine and my computer has been overclocked for 7 years straight and my voltage levels are still stable.. I found an old pic when I got my parts lol was back 10-5-2008 lol

1680x1050 wasn't low back then.. lol Low was like 1280x1024 or 1440... Mid was 1680x1050, and higher end was around 1920x...

I still don't see the point in going higher then 1920 ? What does it serve purpose wise ? The picture is honestly not much different except for everything being so tiny

It wasn't back then...indeed. 1440x900 was out and 1920x1080 was getting its foothold on the market. Today, 1920x1080 is the most common resolution used (according to to Steam stats) by a longshot.

Higher pixel density on larger screens. More details in game... etc.

The only game that would be borderline on the 750Ti would be Metro 2033.
I've played Skyrim (which is probably the second most demanding on your list) at 1080p w/ some mods on a 750Ti. It performed flawlessly.

Taking into account your lower resolution, it should handle anything you throw at it just fine.
Upgrade to a new 1440p screen? Just grab a better GPU if it struggles.
But it sounds like you're happy where you are so I don't see you upgrading unless the monitor you have dies.

I see no reason to go buy a more expensive GPU, that sucks down almost 200W more, when one that pulls 60W at full usage will more than do the job.

What about a R9 280 ?? Whats the diff between that and a 270 and 290 and the 750 from NVidia ? The 750 I dunno... it just seems too low end for me.. I probably will be fine with it and the Intel cpu... but I dunno I keep looking at these benchmarks and its like 25% slower then a R9 270... and the price is exactly the same give or take $10

And the 750 vs the R9 280 the performance is 35-40% which is quiet a big difference for only $50 more. I hear you on the power usage.. but I don't mind if it uses a lot of wattage.. I have 9 fish tanks in my house lol I assure you they use more power then 10 of these computers

I was thinking of something like this card

http://www.amazon.com/Sapphire-Rade...0IZXOW80/?&tag=bom-tomshardware-20&ascsubtag=[site|thaus[cat|[art|[pid|B00IZXOW80[tid|14314582365375370[bbc|LESPRIX

Last edited:
hmm seems the R9 series has a lot of issues with artifacts and stuff.. I read non stop threads on google and reviews on newegg so I guess ill avoid them...

GRR

- - - Updated - - -

I think my link showed all those cards, no?

Yea that's where I getting this from the 750 seems too low end to me compared to the 280 and so forth.. But I just found a lot of people complaining about these R9 cards artifacting and stuff.. Whats the step up from the 750 ?

The 960, but its price, compared to the R9 290 makes it not worth it to most people regardless of its power use.

R9 290's are hot running cards. I wouldn't get a reference model (with a blower type fan on it) if you end up going that route.

For the record, I can google any card and come up with problems. I have owned a couple of 290s and other. They are fine. They just suck down the power and run HOT.

Well of course you can google the cards but I see ALOT of reviews and videos on youtube of ppl complaining and saying the R9 series is buggy.. I dunno.. I haven't seen much of that for Nvidia cards.

Yea ima skip the 750ti... I was just looking at the GTX 960 I think ill get that card.. It seems to be the more mid range video card and its only $190, The R9 290 is too expensive 280$ and I kinda got turned off finding countless issues with the R9 cards.

So what do you think of this computer then ? Im unsure of this motherboard and the memory though, and im just going off the evga power supply someone mentioned. I think I need a different motherboard.. Im not liking the 3 star reviews

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/tTWCcf

Last edited:
You are making something of nothing on the R9 290 issues...

Get the Z97 Extreme 6, and Find the EVGA GS650 PSU instead of that 750W model. Truth be told, you don't remotely need 650W. Your PC as it was would peak at 350W if you overclocked the heck out of the CPU and GPU... A quality 550W unit is plenty honestly.

Well if that were the case then I might as well Keep my current power supply.. Its old but its stable and has all the connections needed.. I also need a new sound card... Im using an OOOOLLD Creative Audigy 2 ZS lol... I was looking at this gigabyte board.. What do you think ? Seems to come with an impressive sound card... and its a Z97 board

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813128706

Btw I REALLY appritiate all the help guys, I feel like im catching up quickly on current tech.. lol it isn't so overwhelming now

My tx750 was great! until it took my ram and mother board out.... without any warnings what so ever...

Well if that were the case then I might as well Keep my current power supply.. Its old but its stable and has all the connections needed.. I also need a new sound card... Im using an OOOOLLD Creative Audigy 2 ZS lol... I was looking at this gigabyte board.. What do you think ? Seems to come with an impressive sound card... and its a Z97 board

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813128706

Btw I REALLY appritiate all the help guys, I feel like im catching up quickly on current tech.. lol it isn't so overwhelming now
Forget a sound card. The ALC1150 codec on the Z97 Extreme 6 is fine unless you are an audophile with expensive cans/speakers to listen to it.

Forget a sound card. The ALC1150 codec on the Z97 Extreme 6 is fine unless you are an audophile with expensive cans/speakers to listen to it.

And even then it still sounds darn good.
Unless you have a set of cans with a high impedance then you'll never know it isn't a dedicated card.

Back