• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Build with Gigabyte Aorus Pro & Intel I7 9700k

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Poorman65

Registered
I am trying to finish my order for a new build with the Gigabyte Aorus Pro & Intel I7 9700k. I am struggling with deciding on the memory. I'd like to do a one-day order, but I'm not sure which of them are good choices.

I would like to get 32GB. Is it better to get a pair so that I have room for more later, or is 4x8GB a better choice? No idea if i would ever need more than 32GB.

Does it make much difference if I get a 3000 or 3200, or should I be looking for even higher?

Are there brands that I should avoid with that motherboard? I saw one comment that said not to get Corsair for a Gigabyte board, but not sure if that is correct or not.

Most any will do with Intel really.

That said, I'd stay around 3200 mhz or so as that is the sweet spot.

Re: 32gb.... do you need 16gb in the first place? I'd stick with 2x8 first and buy matching if you need it. Unless you plan on not touching this rig for years...

It's not a rule but many users were reporting problems with Gigabyte+Corsair combo. It's mostly because Gigabyte often makes quick BIOS releases without tuning and adds fixes later (or never). It can be also issue of less standard XMP profiles for Corsair RAM and the fact that Corsair uses every IC available which fits general product specification. Different IC may need different XMP profile. What you can see on the QVL of each motherboard is usually a list of memory kits tested on early BIOS. Once BIOS and used memory IC (even under the same product number) changes, no one can guarantee compatibility while the QVL remains without changes as no one has a time (and don't want to waste money) to test memory kits over and over again when memory vendor changes IC or when motherboard gets a new BIOS.
Here is mentioned Corsair but the same can happen on other brands. It's just that some memory manufacturers use safe profiles which sometimes look quite relaxed but work on every motherboard without issues.

I would recommend G.Skill if you want something at tighter timings or Crucial if you can live with more relaxed timings in lower price. I also had no problems with HyperX Fury/Predator but Predators are clearly better.
It doesn't really matter if you get 4x8GB or 2x16GB since you want DDR4-3000/3200. It's still better to get 3200 or even 3600 as long as the price is reasonable.
I would get 4x8GB if I wanted RGB LED memory just because it looks better but if you don't care about that then better will be probably 2x16GB.

Thanks for the suggestions. I ended up going with a GSkill 2x16GB set. It was only 3000Mhz but was within my price range. The 32GB pair wasn't on the QVL, but the 16GB was. On the GSkill site they showed it as supported in that board, so I expect it will work well.

G.Skill TridentZ RGB Series 32GB (2 x 16GB) 288-Pin DDR4 SDRAM DDR4 3000 (PC4 24000) Desktop Memory F4-3000C16D-32GTZR

G.Skill usually works with every motherboard, regardless if it's on the QVL or not. Have fun with your new build! :)

Back