• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Building a DVD player

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Superman

I am planing on building a DVD player for my TV, because I have a bunch of computer parts and I thought it would be cool to make one. My question is if it would be good enough to build one out of a PI 200Mhz with 128mb of ram with nothing on it but W2k and, a bunch of VCD format movies. Please give me some feed back and, tell me what you think. Thanks.

Maxvla

if you are going to be playing dvd movies on this machine the 200mhz cpu will not cut it. you need a dvd decoder card such as the one in my sig. you can get one of those for about 40 bucks online.

the avi's should be ok... i'm not sure how much cpu power they need to work correctly.

Mr. $T$

Ya, if at all possable you might want to get a pII 400 or 350 but I think that a dvd card will do nicely. What Kind of video card will you will run.

OP
S

Superman

I'm not really sure yet, this is just a thought I came up with so any input would be great. I do also have a PIII 500Mhz cpu around here somewhere I will most likely use that.

Oni

Oni-ni-Kanab;, Ninja Hippo eater Moderator
That would be good, but if you're making a HTPC, I'd put a nice Hollywood decoder card in it. It'll give you a better picture at least.

JDXNC

I have a 200MMX(@ 300Mhz) with a Hollywood+ decoder and it plays without a glitch

Maxvla

Superman said:
Where can I get one of these Hollywood Decorder cards?
just search pricewatch or pricescan (.com) for them.

just make sure you check resellerratings.com before you whip out the plastic.

they should be about 40 bucks. :) (and i might add... extremely well worth it)

JDXNC

They even make DVD's on fast computers better, had it in my main rig and cpu usage while playing a dvd was like 3%

Maxvla

JDXNC said:
They even make DVD's on fast computers better, had it in my main rig and cpu usage while playing a dvd was like 3%
they are great :)

i'll have one in my machine until they don't make dvd's anymore.

Maxvla

KLowD9x said:
What if you dont wanna watch the DVD on tv? Can it also somehow display on ur monitor? (The decoder card)
yep sure can. :) it uses a pass though cable from your video card to the decoder card to your monitor.

DOES NOT AFFECT GAMING PERFORMANCE :)

Maxvla

BinarySuperman said:
cant u get a 9700 with 1024x768 tv out instead of the hollywood decoder?
you won't have as many options and likely the decoder card will have better quality. not to mention the decoder card is 300 bucks cheaper.