• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Building a new PC!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Simon C

Hello all,

I am going to purchase a new system very soon, and have come up with the components I’d like to buy to build this system. I am a bit of an enthusiast, but I haven’t bought or built a system for myself since early 2005(had a sempron 1.8ghz skt 754 and a 6800 vanilla) – I sold that system last year, and haven’t been keeping up to date on the hardware scene, but I have done a bit of research in the last couple of weeks and this is what I came up with:

CPU: Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600
GFX: Asus 8800GTS 512MB EN8800GTS-HTDP-512(g92 – new one)
Mobo: ASUS P5K-E-WiFi(p35 chipset)
HDD: WD Raptor 150gb
RAM: Corsair TWIN2X2048-6400 C4 (2x1GB) 4-4-4-12
PSU: Corsair HX-620 620W Power Supply

Please let me know what you think, any suggestions or advice is welcome, please tell me if I have missed something, totally ****ed up, or if this system looks okay – looking to purchase soon!

Thanks a lot!
Simon.

ou_phidelt

That is a greatt looking system. I would suggest going with 4GB of ram and Vista 64. I like thce 2X2GB G.Skill sets. What about a HSF? The top end would be a TR 120 Extreme with a Scythe S-Flex. Have you thought about a case? What size range are you looking for? You also might want to consider a second storage drive. I like the new Seagate 7200.11 500GB.

Lostapostle

Registered
just items I would use differently

GFX: EVGA 512-P3-N801-AR GeForce 8800GT 512MB
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814130318
just always had good luck with this brand and the step up program always shows love for us if something better comes out for hte same price a few months down the road

PSU: PC Power & Cooling S75QB EPS12V 750W http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817703009
can't go wrong with the favorite brand of PSU of MaxPC and the 5 year warranty

OP
S

Simon C

About the graphics card, I like the asus models and have had good experience with asus before. Also I can get asus products(and most mainstream brands) really cheap through contacts of mine.

As for HSF, I was thinking a Thermalright ultra-120 eXtreme(thats what you were talking about right - great minds think alike =P) with either scythe, nexus or noctua fans. I think I'll get an Antec P182 case, and switch out the case fans for one of the previous brands I listed too. I like thermalright and had an XP-120 back in the day when they were king(3 years ago haha).

I've pretty much decided everything pending some advice, except I'm not quite sure what fans to get for the CPU and case fans.

As for 4gb ram, I'm pretty sure I won't need it, and it's nice to save some money there. With vista, nah I'll stick with XP for a while yet =P Secondaryu storage drive? HAHAHAHHA, lol, I'm a light user when it comes to storage, 80gb would do me, but I'll get a raptor 150gb anyway, lots of room for me!

Thanks for the responses guys!