• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Building a new puter. Must be cool & silent ;)

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
take this computer, and build it inside of a mini fridge. it would
be very quiet and very cold.

Why not use convection cooling? Just lift the case off of the ground a little bit, cut holes in the bottom and top, make sure there is a passageway for air, and the hot air rising from the top will allow cool air to come in through the bottom. That could almost eliminate fans.

yar, thats what the G4 Cube uses...

I am thinking a quiet PS, huge heatsink, undervolted athlonxp. with a switch on the case. flip the switch on and fans go on....

that wont work you would have to wrap the mobo in a circle with a huge donut hatsink in the middle

i always wanted to know if you could do passive watercooling

have the hot water rise to a radator and then when it cools have it fall back down and push more water down twords the cpu

Maximum PC built a passice heat pipe a few moths ago...or was it a year, or more....aww i dunno...anyhow, one of the P-III Tulies should be able to run on passive, just makesure it is a really good heatsink.

I had exactly what you want set up. It was my Streaming MP3 server and FTP server. Basicly it was a cely 400@450 with just the CPU fan(it ran 24/7/365 ecept for maybe ocasional maintance(ran for almost a year without reboot)), running linux redhat 7.2 sits about 2 feet from my bed and it was dead silent. the loudest part of the whole thing was the hdd. i couldn't even hear the PSU (it was a sparkle or something like that) 300w. shoot you could probably get away with setting up like a P133 for what you wanna do.......and dang cheap too...........QUIET SHHHHHHH

Good luck

You could most likely get away with a celeron/duron and a huge copper Heatsink(ala MC462).

I know my comp ran for over a hour stable with no fan's@1400, watching a DVD.

Contrary to popular opinion, AMD's are actually quite tough mofos!

Temp was 89C though:eek:

Most likely it would still be dead silent if just used a 80mm panaflow L1 and/or 7 volt'd it.

Make sure you use a quiet HD! My quantums are very quiet, every WD I've used has been LOUD.

Back