• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Building a new system. Seeking advice, comments, suggestions.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

INT21

Registered
Well 1st off I must say I'm impressed w/this forum!!

About three months ago I started doing my research on my hardware requirements and compiling inforamation to log in my design guide for building my system. The info I have learned from this site has been very helpful. :clap: So again, thank you guys for keeping this forum alive and keeping the info relevant. I hope to be able to contribute back to this site as I learn more while building my system.

So here is my component list. While it is my 1st O/C project I'm pretty experienced in understanding hardware details (I work in a h/w storage test lab).

[System]
Chip: P4 3.2 800MHz 90nm D0 stepping
Case: Lian-Li PC-V2000 Full Tower Case
PSU: Thermaltake Purepower 560W
Mobo: Abit IC7-Max3
Video: PNY GeForce 6800Ultra 256MB
RAM: Corsair TWINX1024-3200XLPRO
Sound: Sound Blaster Audigy 2 ZS Platinum
Storage: Seagate Barracuda 7200.7 120GB 7200RPM SATA (2x)
Keyboard: Maltron Ergonomic Keyboard
HID: MS Trackball explorer
Monitor: ViewSonic P225fB 22" CRT

[Cooling]
DangerDen TDX
DangerDen Maze4GPU
DangerDen Mach4Chipset
Tygon 1/2" ID Tubing (10')
Hydor L35
DangerDen Single Bay Reservoir
Black Ice Micro II Radiator
Thermaltake A2178 SmartFan (2x)
Artic Silver 5
Criticool PowerPlant
WaterWetter

I'd appreciate any suggestions or comments about my component selection. I will be purchasing the main parts the middle of next month, then adding the cooling system later. Once I have the cooling system installed I'll start the OC fun!

Viper2004

WELCOME TO THE FORUMS!!!

Well, first off, everything looks extremely nice to me except you said that you will be getting your parts first and cooling later? What are you planning on cooling it with till then? Just stock?
Now about that keyboard, wtf? I have never seen anything like that and whats the purpose of spending 400 bucks on something like that? Nice pick on the parts though, some very top notch stuff you got there.

OP
INT21

INT21

Registered
The keyboard uses an alternate layout. Since an opposable thumb is what makes us such a successful species, Maltron takes advantage of the fact and designed the keyboard w/8 keys for each thumb. The left thumb has two big keys for 'E' and 'Space'. The right thumb has a key for 'Backspace' (think of how often you hit that key and how awkward your hand must move to reach it). The other keys are setup in clusters...so one cluster is centered on 'A' and the keys directly above, below, right, and left are the most common keys that are used w/ 'A'. The other keys follow a similar convention.

I have one of these @ work. It takes a little time to get used to it but after a while it's hard to imagine typing on an old keyboard again. I thought about taking another learning curve hit and trying out the left hand model to allow my right hand to be free for the trackball, but the one handed model is something like $700!

For the cooling system, I thought about just using stock components for a while and not pushing any part past spec until I got the rest of the parts. Do you think I would run into any heat issues with this plan?

[email protected]

:drool: holy ****! wow, you must have tons of money. If you really have that much, why don't you get two 74GB raptors in RAID 0, instead of those 7200rpm ones? And then maybe get one for storage. But... ahh wow
And that keyboard is just overkill... completely useless if you ask me. You could spend that money on something that could actually add performance. You should just get a normal logitech one. Save yourself some money and get a better processor. Hell, you could almost get a p4 3.2EE if you remove the keyboard :eek: ...that would be a much better choice than some ugly keyboard :attn:

Last edited:

radium

That is one crazy-*** keyboard...

System looks good.

Do you like the rolley ball on your mouse, because otherwise I would recommend an MX510 mouse.

OP
INT21

INT21

Registered
Sorry guys, keyboard stays. :bang head
My company purchased one for me @ the office. It took me only about 4 months to get used to it, but once it became automatic to type on it, I couldn't imagine typing for long periods @ a time (coding, work stuff, posting on a forum :cool: ) on anything else...but perhaps you're right about aesthetics I think I'll get an additional nice looking keyboard for gaming and such.

Yes the system is a little pricey, but I haven't built a system in about 5 years!! So I'm gonna get a cheaper chip while I'm learning; then get a 3.4EE when they come down in price and I've got a better grasp of my system. Plus, I get rad deals on some of the parts through work.

Viper2004

radium said:
That is one crazy-*** keyboard...

System looks good.

Do you like the rolley ball on your mouse, because otherwise I would recommend an MX510 mouse.

Lol rolly ball...

KierenRei

Registered
About the processor

You have a 3.2ghz proc there, look at a 3ghz one. Not only is it a lot cheaper but you will feel like you did a bigger oc...I know i did.

That keyboard is a little wierd. Otherwise it looks great to me.

OP
INT21

INT21

Registered
I haven't had time to look at the spec on the Raptors. How quiet are they compared to the Barracudas?

Tatuya

The reason why you would want the raptors versus the 7200 RPMs is because they are so dang fast. Correctly used, you can install windows in a mere matter of minutes and load levels in games faster than ever. They are however pretty quiet, I'd say the same as most drives. When you see the performance boost, the extra noise or heat won't matter.

Karbon

ok how about
p4 3.0
abit IC7
512 mb pc4000 ram (2x256)
9800 pro
120gb hdd
antec midtower case
fortron 450 psu
audigy 2
normal keyboard
viewsonic 19" CRT monitor

And use the extra $2000 on folding layers ;)