• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Building Everyday PC

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

JustinGB

Registered
Ok, so I want to build a friend a pc, that's an everyday pc. nothing extravagant like a gaming system, which are all the only parts i know of. So i need one that'll be really fast just for email. browsing and stuff.. so i need help. lol all i know are gaming components

Processor: I've decided on an AMD XP, for they are cheap. Dunno how fast.. maybe 2400+
Motherboard: I don't know any GOOD motherboards that are cheap, nothign for overclocking, but something that works well(Possibly with both Sound and Video support)
Case: What's a good 300/350watt psu and case? Or something that'll just work for everyday use.
HDD: I was thinking a WD 40gig
Memory: Just a 256mb, prolly 2700.. what brand shoudl i get?
Video + Sound: If it doesnt' come w/ mobo, prolly some SB Live and Geforce 2mx
CD: CD/cdrw.. something cheap
Floppy: I'm sure i can just get any type of floppy

Thanks a lot... I just need all these parts to work. i've never built a pc before but I'm confident i can, i'm just hoping it works lol

If he'd like to keep the computer fast for several years I wouldn't cheap out on so many things.

I'd get a 2500+ just because they're a better processor.
Biostar and Microstar make great motherboards, try looking for something cheap with an Nforce2 chipset.
www.zipzoomfly.com has $55 cases that are a cool color and come with a decent PSU, as well.
I'd get a 120gig hdd just because of the negiligible price difference.
I'd go with 1gig of ram, it'll last for ages and still be usable. Since it's not going to be overclocked(are you SURE?) just get the cheapest PC2700 you can.
I saw a few motherboards that come with a built in MX440, and NForce2 motherboards have great surround sound already.
I just bought a burner/dvd player for $55, one of those and a $20 cd-player will definitely be enough.
Keep in mind you will also need case fans. A monitor, keyboard, speakers, and a mouse.

sweeet great advice and good point about the long time use. thanks. i gota go see what i can get now.. i'll let you guys know

one thing, abotu the cases.. can i just get any case? or does it have to be a certain brand? I do want this to last

Last edited:
If your friend is on such a tight budget, go retail. You will never be able to beat the prices on eMachines or some Hewlett Compaqard boxes.

they're not on asuper tight budget, actually their budget would be for a decen computer gaming system. but i'm just trying to relieve them of the unecessary extras, like in the motherboard and stuff and super expensive video card

If your friend is on such a tight budget, go retail. You will never be able to beat the prices on eMachines or some Hewlett Compaqard boxes.

Emachines computers are fairly prices, but they are rip-off's. I have an emachines and the thing is fast, but it doesn't have nearly the amount of features that a custom built computer would have. First off, my system doesn't even have a game port. Second, the Ad at Best-Buy said that it came with DDR RAM when it was PC133. Third, the PSU is only 250 Watts so my system shuts down spontaneously. And fourth, the COM2 port doesn't work and emachines wouldn't even fix the problem for me unless I payed more money for the warranty which I had already purchased.

If I were you, I would spend the extra bucks and get a custom made. At least with custom PCs, you can get what you want, but with a pre-built one, you don't always get what you want.

Processor: Athlon XP 2400+
Motherboard: Abit NF7-M (This is based on the nForce 2 Chipset IGP, Integrated Graphics Processor so it has a GeForce 4 MX440 built in.)
Case: Something to last would be a Chieftec Dragon Midi Tower, believe me these are very strong sturdy cases built to last)
HDD: I prefer Maxtor personally
Memory: If no overclcoking is to be done brand wont matter
CD: CD/cdrw.. Artec do nice cheap CD-RWs that work well
Floppy: I'm sure i can just get any type of floppy

one thing, abotu the cases.. can i just get any case? or does it have to be a certain brand? I do want this to last

A Chieftec Dragon Midi Tower would work good, they are not too expensive and they are available in many colours also. You would need to buy a PSU separately, you should buy at least a 400w PSU for this system.

Craig

JustinGB said:
awesome advice on the abitnf7-m. saves me some money. does the brand of hte psu matter? i've heard a lot that a good brand 350w can beat out any 400-420w out there?

this is the case i'm getting so far
http://www.newegg.com/app/viewProductDesc.asp?DEPA=&sumit=Go&description=11-156-117&searchdepa=0

case doesn't have to be fancy

Its a powerful board and everything you could ever need is integrated so it should suit your purpose, it also has upgrade potential for the future with the AGP8x slot, 5 PCI slots, 3DDR DIMM slots so it should be a good board for the job.

Difference between cheap and good PSUs is the rails, with stable rails the system will run better, it will be more stable.

Craig

How about this?

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=623822&Sku=S450-4100 BK

I got a similar deal from them, except for the fact that the mobo in mine is a kt400 instead of the kt 600, even though the mobo is kt600, and a little slower, I mean a case, 400 watt psu, and mobo for 135 bucks sounds pretty good.

On my system, I have that same case, as I said, kt400 mobo though. But the case is very nice. Clear side, has a case fan in that side as well. Opening door on the front, mine came with the board already mounted in it for you, all the connections made, all you had to do was plug in your chip, ram, cards, etc.. and you were ready to go, and ya gotta love the price. Just a suggestion.

wow.. the suggestions keep getting better and better. right now the cost for .. wait.

I just did some math, the current custom I have right now will be $244 shipped, barebones.
This one is $190 shipped, then I have to buy a chip. Hm... good price though, I'll see. This seems to be the msot convenient way to do it. The thing is, if i Buy taht i have to buy a video card. which for acheap one is another $40.. but the nf7-m comes w/ a gforce4 onboard.

Great suggestion though.. definitely keeping it in mind

that really didn't help anything tom.. I've been through that site.
It seems to be mor convenient to just order everything from one place
Where in NY do you live?

sweet, i also live in staten island. arden heights. but why would you pick the raidmax? i've heard that they are only decent psus, and they weren't ont hat list of "good" psu's.

Back