• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Building New Computer, suggestions?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Steirer

Hello everyone,

I just wanted to hear some input on my new undertaking. I have selected a few components and wanted to hear your opinion on it. I also have a few questions, since it has been a few years since I built my last PC. My goal is to set up a great gaming computer. Please guide me through it and check if I am missing anything and/or if one or more of the components don't make sense.

This is what I had in mind:

CPU: Intel i7-4960X Extreme Edition

I read a bit about the Intel Xeon E5-2697 V2, but don't think that this will be necessary. Also, the Xeon turbo boost seems to cause thread synchronization problems. Either way, anyone know how the Xeon compares to the 4960x? For my purposes the i7 should suffice.

GPU: 2-3x EVGA GeForce GTX TITAN SuperClocked OR AMD Radeon R9 290X

I will likely go with the R9 290X although Nvidia will announce their new models in a few days. So, I am holding off on this one for now. Overall, I doubt it will matter in the long run, I'll be happy with either, however the Radeon does save me a good amount of money. Your opinions?

Ram: Corsair Dominator Platinum 64 GB (8x8 GB) DDR3 2133MHz

Any issues with that? Read that DDR4 will come out late 2014/early 2015, plus not every Motherboard will support DDR4, so no need to wait it out.

Power: EVGA SuperNOVA NEX 1500 Classified

Did a brief research on this, and this one seems to be pretty good. My only question is: I am planning on using this computer overseas (Europe that is) and although I am certain this will support 220/240 Voltage, I'll ask just to be on the safe side.

Motherboard: ASUS Maximus VI EXTREME LGA 1150

Any issues here? Was considering liquid cooling at one point, but there is not much out there yet. Then again I am not too familiar with liquid cooling, so I might be wrong on this one.

SSD: Samsung Electronics 840 EVO-Series 1TB 2.5-Inch SATA

Only concern, will it fit in the casing? Read that there may be some issues.

HDD: 4x Western Digital 4TB

These will go into my NAS.

Casing: No idea, some full tower. Was thinking Thermaltake or Coolermaster. Any suggestions? I want to be able to see the inside, in case I decide to get liquid cooling.

Soundcard: Haven't looked into it yet, any suggestions?

A few questions:

How is this set up? Is there anything that doesn't add up? Any input? Am I missing anything? As for liquid cooling, does anyone have an idea which specific product/brand I can use for my MB? Anything I can/should replace/improve?

Thank you. Appreciate your input.

EarthDog

Gulper Nozzle Co-Owner
Well... yikes... Looks like an incredible rig... that said, likely a gigantic waste of money too. I havent heard of nvidia announcing anything soon as their stuff is supposed to come out next year.

Z87 based board that isnt made for overclocking and a waste of your cash
2x8GB DDR3 1866 CL9 1.5v
Single GTX 780/ r9 290x
Quality 750W PSU in case you go SLI CFx.

That will save you almost $3K and perform just about the same on a 1080p monitor... unless you are using multiple monitors... then go with 2 780's or two E9 290x.

If you want to water cool do not cool the motherboard as it is usually a restrictive block and yields no gains really.

OP
S

Steirer

Ok, thank you for the input. Why the vengeance Corsair?
And only 750W PSU?
It will be a multi monitor setup, so I was thinking of getting a total of 2-3 GPUs.

The liquid cooling would be more for the looks, at least for me. Fans do the same trick, just cheaper.

Any more input? Thanks

EarthDog

Gulper Nozzle Co-Owner
Ok, so let's assume 5760x1080 (3 1920x1080 sreens). For that I would use 2 780's or 2 290x cards whenever they come out (should be soon). A quality 750-800W unit would be plenty for that setup overclocked. That and the 4770k, the 2x8 and you are set. Going more than 2 cards is asking for trouble IMO.

Theocnoob

4770k is all you need for gaming these days. Anything above that would be overkill. I agree with what earthdog said. All you NEED is 16 gb of rAm, a 780 or 2, and thats it. Definitely get the terabyte ssd.

Theocnoob

That depends whether you want to go extreme overkill or not. You could stick to your 4960X and get a Rampage IV Extreme.

Or you could go with the 4770K and get a Maximus VI Extreme. Both are around $400. If you just want a motherboard for the 4770K that'll get the job done and allow for a half decent overclock you can get the $130 Z87-A from ASUS for your 4770K.

Now, keep in mind that if you go the more economical route and buy a 4770K, you will be without the massive E Peen that the 4960X/4930K system would have afforded you, but it doesn't sound like you'd be using all 6 cores if you had them, so you have to ask yourself if you really want to "waste" that kind of money on the better CPU.

If you want a good motherboard that has an "everything but the kitchen sink" feature set (4770K), overclocks well, etc, get the ASUS Z87 Deluxe. Wifi, Bluetooth, etc etc.
That's about where I'd say the common sense choices stop. A Maximus VI extreme or a Rampage IV extreme only really come into their own when you use liquid nitrogen or dry ice and overclock the living hell out of the CPU. Otherwise they're just for the sake of saying "I have this".

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813131978
Z 87 Deluxe

http://www.newegg.com/Product/ComboDealDetails.aspx?ItemList=Combo.1455416
Z 87 Deluxe + 4770K as a combo

For the soundcard, Auzentech makes good stuff, so does HT Omega and ASUS. I find Creative to make the most inferior sound solutions overall.
If you can find an Auzen Meridien or Meridien II that's a great buy. The HT Omega 7.1 is good. The ASUS Xonar D2 is good. Aim to pay $150-200 for a soundcard if you want quality.
Of course, a much smarter thing to do is to buy a proper receiver/amplifier from a stereo shop, run digital out from the motherboard to it, and hook your speakers up to the amplifier. If you get a $400 receiver/amp it'll murder any PC soundcard. Spend your extra money there, rather than a 4960X.

But don't let us ruin your vision. You do not NEED a 4960X for gaming. It will offer no gains over a 4770K. But if you just want to have the best of the best, it is your money, you are an adult, you should do what pleases you. If you want to stick with the "overkill" build you first suggested, Rampage IV extreme is the motherboard for you.

Last edited:
OP
S

Steirer

Thank you so much. I appreciate your input.
I might go with the 4770K instead, as for the motherboard I was considering the MSI XPower. I will look into the MBs you suggested.

Also, I read mixed reviews about various soundcards and it seems most of them have some sort of issue. I think getting an amplifier might be the better option.

Thanks again.

Theocnoob

Thank you so much. I appreciate your input.
I might go with the 4770K instead, as for the motherboard I was considering the MSI XPower. I will look into the MBs you suggested.

Also, I read mixed reviews about various soundcards and it seems most of them have some sort of issue. I think getting an amplifier might be the better option.

Thanks again.

Why would you need an XPower? It has limited features compared to the Z87 Deluxe and offers you no improvements whatsoever.

The only thing the XPower is good for is liquid nitrogen. Those kinds of motherboards (Rampage IV, Maximus VI extreme, MPower, XPower) are focused at extreme overclocking.

You're not extreme overclocking. You're overclocking to 5Ghz or less (You will need to de-lid the cpu to come close to this) in all likelihood. 4.5/6 without having to modify the CPU is a reasonable expectation. You can easily reach that overclock on a $130 motherboard.

Spend your money on a DECENT motherboard, but not one that's ridiculous. I still think the Z87 Deluxe is the best board for you. Check it out.

You want to really blow the dough on GPU(s), and a good amp/receiver and 2 high quality speakers. Have you listened to Klipsch speakers? They have a really tight, accurate sound and you get a lot for your money. I'm talking about the quality $400-700/pair stuff.