• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Building new rig, very big! Opinions welcome.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Zucca

Registered
Alright, I'm new here so first, a bit about myself! I'm Zucca. Ok now that that's done, let's get on with the good stuff.

I'm dead smack in the middle of building a custom cube case, I will post pics of it when I start to get more pieces, let's dive right in with the big ol' list of soon-to-be goodies.

PC Parts--
Motherboard: EVGA X58 FTW3 132-GT-E768-KR
CPU: Intel Core i7-920 probably 930
Two Video Cards: EVGA 01G-P3-1373-AR GeForce GTX 460 Superclocked EE 1GB 256-bit GDDR5
2+ Monitors: Samsung XL-2370-1 23-Inch Widescreen LED LCD Monitor
HDD (to start): Western Digital Caviar Black 1TB 7200 RPM 64MB Cache Sata3.0 (6gb)
RAM (to start): G.SKILL Ripjaws Series 12GB (3 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1333 (PC3 10666)
Power Supply: ENERMAX Galaxy EVO EGX1250EWT 1250W ATX12V / EPS12V SLI Ready CrossFire Certified 80 PLUS BRONZE Certified Compatible w/Core i7 Modular Active PFC Power Supply

Case Cooling Parts--
120mm Fanx14(maybe more): Yate Loon 120mm x 25mm Fan - Open Chassis (D12SH-12)
Fan Controller: Lamptron 30W - 4 Channel Aluminum Rheobus w/ Multi Color Backlit LED - Version 2 - Black (FC-5V2)

Liquid Cooling Parts--
Tubing: 3/8ID 5/8OD tygon lab grade
Pump: swiftech mcp355
Radiator: Thermochill PA120.3
Reservoir: XSPC Dual 5.25" Bay Reservoir - Black
Waterblock cpu: *undecided*
Waterblock gpu: *undecided*
Mobo waterblock: Bitspower Black Freezer EIX58NS EVGA Intel X58 North / Southbridge Combo Block
Pump #2: mcp355
Radiator #2: Thermochill PA120.3
Reservoir #2: XSPC Dual 5.25" Bay Reservoir - Black

What do you guys think?
I'm gonna have some questions a little bit down the line, just want to see what people's first impressions are!
And here's a hint about my case, it's a 2'x2'x2' steel framed cube. Before you ask... Yes, it's that big.

Last edited:
1250w is WAY overkill, pretty sure 750w would be plenty enough and its not like you could upgrade from 2 GTX460 to a tri or quad sli setup unless you rip everything apart

Welcome to the forums!

Firstly, I'd agree that 1.25 kW is a bit overkill for what you have. A good branded 850 to 1000 W PSU ought to do the job nicely. PSU calculators aren't always perfectly accurate, I'd take them with a pinch of salt rather than as a minimum estimate.

The second, very important question is what are you doing with it?

If you are gaming, I'd be tempted to drop down to less RAM (6 to 8 GB ought to be plenty) and/or the i7-8xx series chips and put the money you save (plus the money saved from dropping down the PSU wattage) towards a pair of 470s instead. From what I've seen the i7-9xx series is for when you really need massive number-crunching power whereas your priority ought to be the best cards you can afford if it's a gaming rig.

The caviar black is a good choice of HDD, although a 128 GB SSD plus a 640 GB Caviar black would be a reasonable alternative. It would cost a bit more, but would load games and the OS faster.

So in short I'd rearrange your build (assuming gaming here):

- i7 8xx chip and an appropriate board
- 8 GB DDR3 RAM
- A pair of GTX470 cards
- 128 GB SSD
- 640 GB Caviar Black
- 850 W to 1000 W PSU

This is all just my opinion however, but I think it would be a more well-rounded build. If you get the i7-8xxK chip you might find it easier to overclock as well.

As for the water cooling stuff, I'd read all the stickies then post a new thread in the Water Cooling subsection of the Cooling forum. They'll soon tell you if the water cooling setup is any good :)

Well first off: thank you!

I understand what you mean about the power supply, and especially about the calculators.

This rig will be for top-end games, compiling, and audio/video editing.

I'm actually planning on picking up a Sata3.0(6gb) 256gb ssd as my OS/current-game/render/compile insta-farm

I've heard that the i7 920's and 930's are amazingly overclockable chips for a very reasonable price, that's the reason I chose that.

I will check out the water-cooling subsection with a few of my questions later on down the line (I have to finish building the case first!)

Oh, and my budget is about 2,000-2,500$ for pc parts.

~Zucca.

Well first off: thank you!

I understand what you mean about the power supply, and especially about the calculators.

This rig will be for top-end games, compiling, and audio/video editing.

I'm actually planning on picking up a Sata3.0(6gb) 256gb ssd as my OS/current-game/render/compile insta-farm

I've heard that the i7 920's and 930's are amazingly overclockable chips for a very reasonable price, that's the reason I chose that.

I will check out the water-cooling subsection with a few of my questions later on down the line (I have to finish building the case first!)

Oh, and my budget is about 2,000-2,500$ for pc parts.

~Zucca.

The 9xx series are really overclockable - when they are used as benchmarking rigs (which they frequently are) they tend to be at least 3.5 GHz or higher. Given that you plan to do A/V and programming work it's probably best to stick with the 9xx series and the extra RAM as you had at the start.

It looks like it will be quite a monster :)

It looks like it will be quite a monster :)

Wait until I post the pics of the case, you're not going to believe it.

-As a side note, I'm considering putting a Mac Mini and KVM switch in there too. (I currently use a Macbook Pro, 15.4" from 2007)

~Zucca

Wait until I post the pics of the case, you're not going to believe it.

-As a side note, I'm considering putting a Mac Mini and KVM switch in there too. (I currently use a Macbook Pro, 15.4" from 2007)

~Zucca

If you're taking notes and pictures along the way, it would make a great article for Overclockers.com. Once it's built if you fancy writing a piece about it (doesn't need to be massive) send me a PM and we can sort you out with access to the WordPress.

David

If you're taking notes and pictures along the way, it would make a great article for Overclockers.com. Once it's built if you fancy writing a piece about it (doesn't need to be massive) send me a PM and we can sort you out with access to the WordPress.

David

I was actually considering doing a write-up on my case when I start getting the pieces in, unfortunately I'm waiting on the case outer-panels right now, can't do anything until I receive them. I'm using 6 sheets of 2'x2' 1/8" thick aluminum diamond treadplate as my case walls. I will definitely keep you posted as to my status on the project.

~Zucca.

I would go with a 850W from either Corsair or Seasonic. Seems like a great build you have going on, hope to see picture updates soon!

*Update*

So I just got off the phone with the company that I ordered my case panels from, they said that they are shipping them to me on Wednesday of this week the latest, maybe sooner. After I get those panels is when I'll start doing the write-up, you guys will get to see me cut and drill and hopefully make something worth a damn.

Let me just give you an idea of what the case is about:

2 foot x 2 foot x 2 foot cube:
-frame made from 1" thick hollow perforated zinc/steel square tubing 14 ga steel
-angle brackets (you'll never believe where I got them from)
-14 or more case fans
-horizontal orientation mATX/ATX mobo tray
^customized with Lian-Li tool-less PCI card slot rack
-2x 5 slot 5.25" drive bays
-1x 3 slot 5.25" drive bay
^that 3 slotter is going to hold a Lian-Li tool-less HDD rack + 120mm fan.

That's just a bit to get it started, let me know what you guys think. Oh and before anyone asks, I will post where I got my parts from and exactly how much they cost me in the write-up, so stay tuned.

~Zucca.

So I took a whole bunch of pictures of the parts I already have, some before and after assembly. I'm going to be receiving a majority of the case parts that I'm going to be using over the next week or two so look out for either this thread being updated or a new thread that will start my write-up. (if i do start a new thread, i will link it here.)

~Zucca.

Which PSU did you get? Honestly you PSU could have been EASILY run off a quality 750W PSU, none the less 1kw or more!!!

Which PSU did you get? Honestly you PSU could have been EASILY run off a quality 750W PSU, none the less 1kw or more!!!

I haven't purchased any actual PC parts yet, just case parts. the write-up will mostly be on the case but I will include the actual PC parts when I do get them.

~Zucca.

Back