• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Building your First evaporative cooling tower!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
What if you don't want the bong water running through your system. Would it work if you had a heat exchanger in the pool the bong water was collecting in after it went through the bong and before it gets sucked back up

I.E, I place a radiator or some copper tubbing in the bottom of the bong. The bong is its own loop, and the water from the rad to the block is its own loop.

?

If you wanted to run an independant loop for cpu water then the best way possible to do it would be mount the radiator in the bong right above the wyee. This way, the water will fall through the rad, splashing and making more surface area. Also, the air traveling through the bong will hit the rad just like a standard wc setup. This REALLY complicates things and would see worse performance than just a straight bong, plus it requires extra parts and a pump.

Hmm, what are people running for additives when using a bong? I could see a problem if an all copper system was not used.

What about the possibility of the water being contaminated? Is a filter in the line really needed?

Tap water, distilled water. Addatives are generally out 'cause you don't want to be breathing water wetter or antifreeze. Unless you have an aluminum block in your loop, then you don't have to worry about corrotion. Filters are nice but not necessarily necessary.

pwnt by pat said:
Tap water, distilled water. Addatives are generally out 'cause you don't want to be breathing water wetter or antifreeze. Unless you have an aluminum block in your loop, then you don't have to worry about corrotion. Filters are nice but not necessarily necessary.

Well, sounds like something I might try. I already have a 2-302 core, but I can put that to the side until after I am done experimenting with a bong.

Hmm...now how do I go about making it beautiful? Maybe build a cd rack around it painted the same color as the PC case, or maybe incorporate it into a large server case.

Options options...

Thanks for your help

What I was thinking, with the UFO cube server case, or any relativley tall case, you could cut a hole into the side of that case, or with the fountain cooler I was talking about, you could work it into the top of the case and make it look pretty cool.

I always used to put a capful of rubbing alcohol into every 16 oz of water I added to it. During July, a friend was using the bong cooler and I noticed a slime that built up on it that I didnt get with mine. A drop or two of bleach would work too.

The slanted slots the guy was talking about WOULD be pretty effective, except replace the solid sheets of metal with a screen that slowly gets bigger and bigger (like starting out with a coffee filter then ending up with a screen door).

For the slanted idea: http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v314/Pro*Banshee/fsdgdfgdfgfd.jpg

I might actually have to try that...

A known idea to get huge evaporating surface is putting bunch of pingpong balls in tube, but that might be kinda noisy.

I have been thinking of building a bong for WC purposes as well but i was wondering what if you live in a relativly Humid area? I live on an island so it gets pretty humid here escpecially in the summer. It also rains here pretty often and to rain you need high humidity so would it work well in my area? Also could a bong cool a 226watt pelt? I want to pelt my CPU and wanted to know if a bong was strong enough to cool a Maze4 w/ a 226watt pelt.

Another question was how do ping pong balls in the bong affect the sound and were in the bong do you put them?

Bongs can cool pelts quite efficiently but this is a key characteristic of bongs, as the humidity rises, efficiency drops.

The reason is humid air already has water in it already and can only absorb so much before it reaches saturation. Not-so-humid air has the ability to hold more water.

Ping pong balls, probably not much. Just a showerhead would work well though.

Depending on bong size and construction, it can cool everything. Such things are used in factories, but these are huge. Proper bong will chill it, but I wonder if you'll need TEC, as bong itself will chill water a lot.

High humidity - ehmm good question. The more problems water has with evaporating, the less bong efficiency. You'll probably have to make "better bong" to get nice results. Performance will be decreased by high air humidity in my opinion.

There are bascially 2 wasy of using pingpong balls. First is to put them in bong tube - just a few layers on bottom. It increases surface, but may have strange impact on noise. Other way is to have these balls all over the tube, but I think it would restrict airflow too much.
One of my friends wants to convert his WC to bong, but first prioerity for him is to have dead-silent comp, so we'll try to design something that is efficient and VERY silent.

Sounds good, keep me posted on that silent bong because i would be very interested.

Since i live in a humid environment i would need a larger bong and possibly a fan so it seems the plan is falling right into place. Cant wait to get started.

Anybody think of putting a dehumidifier in the same room as the bong? Wouldnt that greatly increase the performance because the air would be a lot drier? Also maybe there could be a way to rig up the water in the dehumidifier that has been taken out of the air to be circulated back into the bong so you dont have to refil it all the time.

Last edited:
How come no one has thought about using clear PVC and fittings and adding some UV reactive junk to your water? Personally I think it would be SWEET to see blue glowing water come up and fall down through the showerhead.

Clear PVC/fittings can be a bit hard to find... though I have the hookups :)

O and if you don't want to add a cup of water everyday you could use a tank full of water and an autofill valve... or heck if you wanted to get crazy you could tap it into your houses water supply... add a distiller.. and the only thing you would have to do is change the distiller's filter every once in a whial!

PCGUY112887 said:
How come no one has thought about using clear PVC and fittings and adding some UV reactive junk to your water? Personally I think it would be SWEET to see blue glowing water come up and fall down through the showerhead.

Clear PVC/fittings can be a bit hard to find... though I have the hookups :)
It would look sweet for the first week or so... Then things start to get deposits and mold(if you don't use biocide due to pets/ your health. But what OC'er cares about their health? ;)). That doesn't look sweet.

I've never bothered looking into watercooling... I know what biocide is and what it does but why would it be bad for your health? Would it evap along with the water and you breath it in due to the nature of this system?

PCGUY112887 said:
I've never bothered looking into watercooling... I know what biocide is and what it does but why would it be bad for your health? Would it evap along with the water and you breath it in due to the nature of this system?
I'd imagine it would, and since biocide tends to kill living organisms, it can't be too good if you're breathing it in. I know a lot of people, including me, have their computer in their room and leave it on 24/7. I know I wouldn't want to breath in evaporated biocide every night/ when I'm on my PC. Isopropal alcohal on the other hand I wouldn't mind.

Back