• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

bunch of little questions.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Como

1) How fast do you guys thing the NF7-S will go for FSB, without creating problems like NB overheating? assume ram is capable of speed.

2) How fast will Mushkin Black LVL2 high perf PC3500 will go for FSB? i was told this ram on ubove mobo would reach 225-230, but someone claimes that that board did 250 w/ pc4000...

3) how well does an ata133 - sata converter work? i wanted raid0, but i got 2 ata 133's for free (100% identical, 80GB ea). an ata 133 raid 0 card runs about $100, but i hear the NF7-S has onboard SATA raid.

4) if the stated board could possibly reach a 250 or even anywhere close FSB, would the faster ram required be worth the extra cash? $143 for 512 megs of 3500 is a bit high for me, but i want PERFORMACE out the ying yang. (and i'm poor, but thats besides the point...why i'm here!)

5)How fast will the FSB on an 1800+ DLT3C go without extreme voltage changes? (i'm dead set on this processor, paying tomorrow)

6) is Raid0 worth it? i hear its easy to corrupt it, especially w/ overclocking... i dont plan on keeping valuable data on it, and i want minimal load times in games, but i dont want to have to reinstall and re-rip my dvd's on it every few months iether...

7)What can i do w/ a $20 best buy card? :p got it for christmas, early present. i'm thinking of putting it towards a cheap 5.1 surround system, as the board has 5.1 sound

sorry about the random questions, and i know some can be found out w/ a search...but i figured i'd throw em in here and save some of my bandwidth & time (i hate to waste otehrs time, but i have really really poopy dialup and an older ISA modem...)

just a list of parts i was thinking of getting (for reference?)

NF7-S
SP-97
DLT3C 1800+ (okay, so i'm sure on this one)
1X muskin 3500 black lvl 2 512MB (and a second when funds support it)
some sort of FAST DX9 card w/ min 128MB, when funds support it

possibly 2x ata133 -> SATA converters, for SATA raid

i know i'm forgetting stuff, i have to start keeping a list...

thanks, in advance, though.

i think that the odds of corrupting your data are similar to that of a single drive, that is when you are running raid0. as far as the DX9 card, you might want to check into the new S3 card thats coming out. It looks prett cool. And id have to agree with you on the speakers, they are always good to have. im going to get some better speakers for the machine im on soon.

1.) depends on many factors there is no easy answere
2.) again depends on other factors like the vcore and the FSB of your NB. You assume that becuase you have the "right" parts that everything is goign to OC nicely, not the case you may get duds who knkow, when ocing there is no easy answere.
3.) They work "fine" and raid should work fine as well, i havnt seen any problmes of using ide to sata converters, though i dont think i have ever seen a sata to raid. It probably isnt worht it anyways.
4.) Instead of getting "faster" ram taht you probably will never reach at that FSB get dual channel memmory, way better performance boost.
5.) Dunno millions of other posts read the forums, again depends on chip.
6.) Raid0 isnt worth it, if you want fast time loading games, partition your drive correctly, and defrag offten, and make sure your hard drive has an 8mb cache, put your "games" hard drive on its own channel so it isnt sharing with anything else/
7.) You could buy me some cds, get some candy bars, i dunno get a dvd, scareface is a holliday classic!

On that 1800+ CPU... Make certain that it is a Thoroughbred B, and not the A variety. Low speed Thoroughbred A's started showing up again a few months ago with recent production dates. The A's don't overclock as much as the B's. I only get 300MHz extra out of my 1800+ A.

Regarding what you might expect from the chip, look here: http://www.cpudatabase.com/CPUdb/ Ignore obvious typos, lies, fabrications and any liquid nitrogen cooling.

in reply to dayusex:

3)well, supposedly the motherboard has sata raid built in, so i'd just plug the sata connecters into the mainboard. thanks though, i had no idea if tehy even worked.

4)Dual channel memorey isnt a large boost in an athlon, and i heard it can even hinder the FSB overclock sometimes (although when i do get the 2nd stick i'll try both dual and single channel, and see what i can get)

6)The drives only have 2 megs i think, but you cant beat the price. i also assumes that having 2 drives in a raid 0 thing would almost double the speed at which a file is loaded (more on larger files, as the two drives now would have to work together)

i'd still like a general max DLT3C FSB (assuming its the only limiting factor), how fast msuhkin black lvl2 would go (also assuming its the only limiting factor) and does the NF7-S really hit 250 FSB(once again it being hte limiting factor)? thats nuts.

Back