• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

burn my new P4C800....

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

LandShark

Super Shark Moderator
just got it today, swap out the IC7, and install the P4C800, everything installed right. when i turn the power on, i saw some smoke coming out around the agp & memory 1/2 slot's area..... turn it off right away, and it can never turn on again.... fans come on, but no post.... clear the CMOS (just hoping...), no go.... guess it's dead now!! :mad:

besides being very mad, i just don't understand WHY it happen?? what's wrong?? or what did i do wrong??

put back the IC7, system come back up and running now.... gonna RMA it back, but i would like to know what's the problem so i could avoid it in the future.....

:mad:

OP
LandShark

LandShark

Super Shark Moderator
no, to be honest with you, it's the 2nd board in a roll!!!! :eek: :mad: (glad i can get a replacement from my local store)

however, what i don't understand is it's using everything the same as the IC7, case/psu/memory/cpu/video/sound/etc. but the IC7 runs fine (besides being no high fsb) and the P4C800 got burn 2 in a roll at first boot!!......:mad:

:(

micamica1217

LandShark said:
no, to be honest with you, it's the 2nd board in a roll!!!! :eek: :mad: (glad i can get a replacement from my local store)

however, what i don't understand is it's using everything the same as the IC7, case/psu/memory/cpu/video/sound/etc. but the IC7 runs fine (besides being no high fsb) and the P4C800 got burn 2 in a roll at first boot!!......:mad:

:(

:eek: :mad:

mica

OP
LandShark

LandShark

Super Shark Moderator
ok, or put it this way...>>>

HOW to have a mobo burn when boot up? voltage? but it's stock. and all the same stuffs run fine on another board... will the mobo touching something that will have it burned?? like what? case? screws? after the first one got burn, i've put some electric plastic tape in between the screws and the board just in case even tho i don't think so....

and the worst thing is, i see the smoke comes out at/around the same spot of the board!!

i really have no [email protected]#$ (sorry, you guys know i've never say this in here, but i really could help this time....) idea what did i do wrong? same mistake 2 in a roll?? it really drives me nut.......

i really want to know why/how so i won't burn a 3rd one again......(knocking wood...)

FIZZ3

It could have been a board fault, of course. But since this is the second time it happened to you, it may also have to do with the surrounding components and/or your installation.

Now you said the components are the same as those that worked fine with the IC7. That leaves installation.

I would check the following things:
- is the board shorting out somewhere, for example against the backplate or at a screw location.
- are all power connectors properly connected, not twisted or displaced.

If you find no wrongs there, you can try a new board at least semi-relaxed. :)

n00bular

I think that it was shorting out by touching the bottom of case. I had a similar problem when I installed a new motherboard into my case and it was shorting out (thank goodness it didn't fry). I just put a piece of paper underneath the motherboard and screwed the paper in. Then I tested my system. I figured out it was a few pins with excess solder and i cliped them and everything is fine now.

Bman1238

Disabled
This has happened to me before with an abit board and an epox board both with the i845G chipset (both happened in the same day):mad: I thought that it may have been the psu, but i tested it on a pII mobo and it worked fine. I guess its just one of those freak things.:temper: :cry: :bang head

gruvin2

I just put together my P4C800 last night and Nothing. My MB power light comes on but when i attempt to power up the fans spin about 1cm then nothing. I tried 2 different sticks of DDR. I tried 2 different cpus still same symptoms. I never saw smoke, but i do believe its the MB. Bought it open at a PC show and suspect its DOA. I'm taking it back to the Reseller this weekend to get it tested and such. Wish me luck.

Burning Phoenix

I'm getting worried now because i just got my ASUS P4C800 yesterday and I am waiting on a video card for it. I'll be ****ed if it's bad. Hope you guys figure out whats wrong.

hipro5

Oooooo......I just show this post........Sorry Gary for your Mobos.......These are bad things when they happen with NO particulary reasons...... :(

gruvin2

Many people have had great success with these MB's. There will always be DOA MB's made no matter who makes em. Just luck of the draw. I'll know Saturday if my MB is indeed the culprit.

OP
LandShark

LandShark

Super Shark Moderator
almost forgotten this post....

well, just wanna let you guys know, the past 2 board has been running fine. (knock wood...) one is running 3.3Ghz (320 ratio/2.4c) on air, the other i've just replaced (the IC7) last night, currently running at 3.36Ghz (320 ratio/2.4c) and climbing....

OP
LandShark

LandShark

Super Shark Moderator
still no clue.....:rolleyes:

the one that's not sitting in the case runs fine.

the other i've just installed inside a case (that the first 2 doesn't post), i used some electric tape to cover the back of the mobo, especially those that sit highest above the mobo. honestly, i was pretty nervous and crossing my finger when i first touch the power up button....

micamica1217

LandShark said:
still no clue.....:rolleyes:

the one that's not sitting in the case runs fine.

the other i've just installed inside a case (that the first 2 doesn't post), i used some electric tape to cover the back of the mobo, especially those that sit highest above the mobo. honestly, i was pretty nervous and crossing my finger when i first touch the power up button....

man, I feal that way every time I install a part.
most of the time, I have people watching me install the parts, and I know that they hope the big computer expert F***s up. LOL

anyway, nice going.

good luck

mica