• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Burning pictures

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

JigPu

Inactive Pokémon Moderator
I recently found out about Yamaha's [email protected] technology and how you can burn text or images to a CD. Now, I've asked in Other Software if anyone has heard of something that will do what I want, but it seems that nobody has. So, I come to you to attempt to learn how to create an image file.

GENERAL PROGRAM DESCRIPTION
Create a program that will create an ISO which when burned onto a CD will leave a visible picture. This will be (I think) accomplished by translating X,Y coordnites of the picture into a sector number (if that's what CD's use). Then, using the ISO image file format, make one HUGE file (whole CD almost) that has ones where I wish the picture on the CD to be dark, and zeros where the CD must remain light.

POSSIBLE PROBLEMS:
Not enough contrast between dark and light (doubtfull... [email protected] burns fine supposedly, but then again, this isn't [email protected] :D)
Resolution problems (there are a TON of places where a CD can be burned, and a 1024x768 picture isn't all that huge when you consider the number of pixels being burned and the number of spots on the CD that CAN be burned)
Lack of help (... how many people do YOU know that know the format of an ISO? :rolleyes: )

What do you guys think? Is it do-able? And does anyone know where I can find the format for an image file? That would help a lot since that's what I'm going to make :D

JigPu

XWRed1

Isos don't have sector information I don't think, at least not really fine sector information like that.

OP
JigPu

JigPu

Well, if they don't have sector info, then do they simply contain the contents of the CD as though you took the CD and saved it into one huge file? If so, then I think it should be doable since I could still tell it exactly where I needed the CD burned. I would just burn '0' for a specific time until I came to the point on the CD that needed burned.

What do you think?
JigPu

XWRed1

Its just a copy of the bytes on the cd and nothing more. So if those bytes have weird physical spacings between them, the iso won't record that because those spaces aren't bytes.

Why can't you just use Yamaha's software?

OP
JigPu

JigPu

Apparently, Yamaha's burner dosen't use software that I can use. From the tiny ammount on it on the net, I think it's either built into Nero (and Nero will detect it as a feature like Mount Rainer ect.), or is a seperate program written by Yamaha which detects the drive and if it isn't that exact drive, it won't work.

Do you really think they bytes will have weird physical spacings? I allways assumed that the bytes were evenly spaced in a spiral from the center to the outside. Ovbiously, there would be 'more' bytes toward the outside when compared to the 'inside', but the function of number of bytes and distance from center should be predictable.

JigPu

XWRed1

I'm just saying that bytes have weird spacings on some cds, like game cds where they do it for copy protection. Traditional isos don't capture that information, although people call bin/cue pairs isos and those do capture some of that.

I looked at the pictures on Tomshardware of that drive, I figured that the images were independent of the data on the disk. If you're burning something other than a normal spiral going out, you're gonna have trouble reading it i think.

Johnny Knoxville

Disabled
XWRed1 said:

I looked at the pictures on Tomshardware of that drive, I figured that the images were independent of the data on the disk. If you're burning something other than a normal spiral going out, you're gonna have trouble reading it i think.

Tomshardware is crap. The images are stored as data on the cd, so they take some space off the cd, it's also pretty hard to see the pictures on the cd.

XWRed1

Wow, so its not burning data in the normal spiral pattern then? How do other drives read these cds?

EeyoreX

Registered
The CDs are burned using traditional methods so that they are readable on all CD-ROM drives (well, any drive that is not SO old I guess ;)) The [email protected] feature only puts images or text on areas of the CD that do not contain data. For example, if you use 100MB of space on a 700MB you will have 600MB worth of blank CD space (where no data is written) available for pictures or text.

Personally, I think the concept is cool, but silly . I beleive you have to use their special media (not sure on that...) to burn the graphics/text. Plus the whole deal about using space for the images. Screw that. I want a full CD. Not half a CD and half a picture.

\Dan

OP
JigPu

JigPu

I don't care... I think it would be awesome to burn a CD that has the AMD logo or something burned onto it :D

Here's an example of how to burn an image onto a CD using a spiral pattern. You would need to calculate the physical distance from one spiral round to the next, and the number of bytes as you go out the spiral to burn.

cdspriralimage.jpg

JigPu

Last edited by a moderator: