• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Burnt area on i7 4790k

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Jyn

Registered
Hello,

So, after about 6 month my Asus Z97 Pro Gamer died because of bent and broken pins. After taking everything out, I noticed this:

View attachment 186206

I can't test processor as of now. I'll only get new motherboard next week, I wanted to make sure if it may cause problems on new motherboard when I'll receive it.

EarthDog

Gulper Nozzle Co-Owner
I can't get to the link to see the picture.. says invalid link specified.

if it's very slight discoloration, it's normal though.

EarthDog

Gulper Nozzle Co-Owner
That isn't discoloration on the pads as I imagined from your writing, lol! That part on the cpu is toast. Cpu may be as well...

Silver_Pharaoh

Likes the big ones n00b Member
Sadly, that's what I'm thinking..
I wouldn't want to put it in a new motherboard personally.

Do you have a super cheap board to try it in?

Lochekey

Senior Pink Member
Man, like ED said I did not expect that. I figured we would see some discolored pads not a burned component. Was there something in your socket that was contacting this or were you trying to overclock with excessive voltage?

EarthDog

Gulper Nozzle Co-Owner
So, that means cpu is pretty much dead?

That's what I said,, yes. I'd see if you can. Rma the cpu as well.

My question is how you managed to bend and break pins and it just now cropped out nor gave you any sign before. Did it literally quit working one day, so you took off the heatsink and cpu then notice the damage??

trents

For future reference, we would prefer you attach pics directly to your posts using Go Advanced rather than link them.

OP
J

Jyn

Registered
Man, like ED said I did not expect that. I figured we would see some discolored pads not a burned component. Was there something in your socket that was contacting this or were you trying to overclock with excessive voltage?

No, I was not trying to overclock nor there was issues with socket..

OP
J

Jyn

Registered
That's what I said,, yes. I'd see if you can. Rma the cpu as well.

My question is how you managed to bend and break pins and it just now cropped out nor gave you any sign before. Did it literally quit working one day, so you took off the heatsink and cpu then notice the damage??

So, basically, I tried to apply thermal-paste since my temps were bit too high when on full load, around ~90C. I used 99% alcohol to clean the thermal paste of from CPU and Heatsink itself, after finishing up the process and putting everything back together temp's were back to normal ~60 or so. About week or so, I started to notice weird smell coming from PC, so I instantly turned it off and after taking heatsink and processor off from socket, I noticed that somehow pins have been bent and few were broken. Simply, I don't know how it happened, I checked everything before I installed everything back. And here we're processor had this as you said toasted spot and motherboard pretty much dead.

I don't know if RMA is possible in Europe. I am from Latvia, by the way.

So, my conclusion is 400 euros gone to drain and one of the worst past day's I've lived. :(

[email protected]

Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo.

- - - Updated - - -

Yeah, I am not sure, how this whole process works with RMA'ing. Can you explain how?

The shop you bought it from, You can ask them if it has warranty (Should have) and then ask them how to RMA it, If im not mistaking you should send a message or call Intel and ask them about RMAing the CPU, As for the mobo, I dont think RMAing the mobo is possible cause of bent pins. But you should try anyway.

OP
J

Jyn

Registered
Okay, got through APTO identification thing - that took a while..

Quesion, which one should I choose when it asks me what type of problem I have? No boot or No display?

Tír na nÓg

So, basically, I tried to apply thermal-paste since my temps were bit too high when on full load, around ~90C. I used 99% alcohol to clean the thermal paste of from CPU and Heatsink itself, after finishing up the process and putting everything back together temp's were back to normal ~60 or so. About week or so, I started to notice weird smell coming from PC, so I instantly turned it off and after taking heatsink and processor off from socket, I noticed that somehow pins have been bent and few were broken. Simply, I don't know how it happened, I checked everything before I installed everything back. And here we're processor had this as you said toasted spot and motherboard pretty much dead.

I don't know if RMA is possible in Europe. I am from Latvia, by the way.

So, my conclusion is 400 euros gone to drain and one of the worst past day's I've lived. :(

Yes, RMA is possible in Europe with Intel, and they won't ask a question about how the CPU died. They'll even pay both ways shipping with UPS or such. Just don't say that the mobo has bent pins, as it is usually a user mishandling mistake.

For your mobo, bent pins is a big no no for RMA, with any brand.

Edit: no boot.

OP
J

Jyn

Registered
Yes, RMA is possible in Europe with Intel, and they won't ask a question about how the CPU died. They'll even pay both ways shipping with UPS or such. Just don't say that the mobo has bent pins, as it is usually a user mishandling mistake.

For your mobo, bent pins is a big no no for RMA, with any brand.

Edit: no boot.

Thanks for the answer. But what do I write there? Just that my CPU got toasted or somethin?