• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Burnt smell but not sure what caused it..

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

thetruthga

First the specs: P4 [email protected] CosairXMS 512mb Abit IC-7G board, 2 HDD, 3 Optical Drives, 2 120MM Fans.

The above set-up is in an Antec 3700 BQE with the Antec 350W PSU still there. The story, im putting a new DVD burner in to replace the current one, I disconnected the floppy drive connector and then replaced it. I turned on the PC and I hear these funny noises coming for the front fan (I think) and then i smell something burning, I turned everything off to resolve the issue. I disconnected the front fan and then rebooted the system but I still smell something.. Come to find out my Floppy Drive is emitting the smell so I replaced and re-connected the fan and no more smell or funny noises. I would like to know why this happened though, is my PSU not fit for this system?, did the PSU kill my floppy drive?, or could have been due to a bad power connection to the floppy drive? BTW I smelled the PSU, CHip, etc and nothing so it had to be the Floppy drive but why?

Side note: should I replace this Antec 350 for something bigger?

OP
T

thetruthga

L337 M33P said:
Did you put the power connector on upside down or one pin to the left/right? It's not impossible to do.

Im about 70% sure that I did one of the two, if so would that been a reason for the burnt smell?

L337 M33P

Yes.

You would have either fed the drive 12V where 5V would normally go (== time to buy new floppy) or burnt out the ground trace on the PCB, since the connector shifting over would have put either 5V or 12V to ground. The fan noise may or may not be coincidental.

OP
T

thetruthga

Hey thanks for the help people... :thup: good thing I had another floppy drive sitting around

Electron Chaser

Senior Delta Fanatic
Smoke 'em if you got 'em.

and then replace it. :)

Sorry to hear about your luck. Of all the connectors in your computer the 3.5 floppy is the easiest to screw up.

Last edited: