• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Business

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Agent_Mull

Anyone ever tried having a business fixing other peoples computers? I know that someone on here has at one time or annother. Im wanting to because my parents gave me a talk about how all i do is sit at my computer, and how i should be out doing stuff and/or making money. So why not make money doing something i like.
What i want to know is like some of the good things about this and some of the bad things. Im thinking of creatign a flyer to post at my grocery store or someplace. I would offer hardware installation; PSU, Motherboards, CPUs, Video Cards, Sound Cards, Printers, etc. I would also offer Virus removal and scaning and removal of Adware/Spyware.

Any ideas, comments?

David

Forums Super Moderator
I work as a sales advisor, but there have been times I have been paid for fixing computers/fitting hardware/etc. Just for family/friends/colleuges though.

QuantumPC

Disabled
I do it.

just a small biz....

20 US/hour their pad

15/hour mine

Get a contract, make them sign it before you work. People are PITAs in general. Just something you have to get used to.

OP
Agent_Mull

Agent_Mull

Annother thing is that i dont have a car to drive around, so i would have to have my mom/dad drive me around.

Last edited:
OP
Agent_Mull

Agent_Mull

Lol, this isnt a small town, my parents might not like someone coming to pick me up, and it seems kinda (for a lack of a better term) tacky.

Mr. Chambers

sole income last 2 years. done it on the side since i was 11 or so for money. what exactly do you want to know?

nil_esh

Good way to make money if you are a teen with a bunch of free time. I used to do a bit of that. Spyware/virus removal will be the thing that is in demand. Upgrading hardware is becoming less relavent, because the typical person will simply buy a whole new computer, rather than upgrade components, but you might be able to help people on the troubleshooting end. The professionals are charging $50/hr, so you should be able to undercut them pretty easilly.

dicecca112

I'm doing the same. It's easy and cheap to do. If you do it well, people tell there friends, and then they contact you, and then there you go more business. That's how I am going to pay for the x800 or 6800 that is going to be in my rig soon. Great way for teens to make extra money.

Mr. Chambers

...Or your sole income if you want it to be. It all depends on the market in your area, and how much work, time, and money you're willing/wanting to invest. Are you looking for just a little cash on the side, "under the table" so to speak? Or something more?