• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Buy 3 or 4-pin connectors with panaflo fans?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Wiggin

My retail p4 hs broke over the weekend, so I figured it was finally time to buy a new hs and some fans so I can overclock. After reading through a bunch of articles and forums for the last few days, it seems like the Vantec Aeroflow with it's default TMD fan and 3 24-CFM Panaflo fans was a good choice. I'm planning on overclocking my 1.8a as far as I can get under 1.7v w/o having to go too high in dbs with air cooling (never bought fans, right now I just have the side intake and 2 exhaust fans on my chieftec case), so I'm not sure how loud in dbs will be too loud for me. I sleep with the computer in my room, but I'm a deep sleeper, so as long as it's not much louder then it is with just the case fans, I will be happy. Knowing how high I plan on ocing and the noise tolerance level, does this combo sound like a good idea? Will the 24 cfm panaflos be good enough for extra case fans? With them I will have 2 front intake, 1 side intake, and 2 exhaust (including the psu fan), plus the Aeroflow fan.

My main question though is this: I have a TH7-II mobo and my chieftec case, what connectors should I get with my Panaflos? It looks like the mobo has 2 3-pin connector slots left, so should I buy one 4-pin connector for one of the panaflos? Here is a link to the Panaflos i'm getting:

http://www.kdcomputers.com/eui/prime/profile/523/25/component.htm

It sounds like they come with 3 pin connectors, but I'm not a 100% sure. I'm assuming that if they come default with 3 pin connectors, that the site sells something to convert them to 4 pin connectors.

EgeWorks

Those fans come with just bare wires, so if you want to hook them up to the mobo, get three pin connectors, if you want them to hook up to the 12v PSu rail get four pin ones. They will be fine hooked up the your mobo fan headers as far as the amount of current drawn goes.

OP
W

Wiggin

I read that elsewhere about panaflos, but did you check the link I posted? Under additional product images, it shows a 3-pin connector. The product description says

"Panaflo Model # FBA08A12L. 3.15" square x 1." 12 Vdc, 0.1Amp. Vdc. 24 CFM. 7 blades. 12" 2 wire leads 21db pined with 3 pin connector.

Note there is no tach lead on this fan - 2 wire "

It makes it sound like it has a 3 pin connector, but then it says no tach lead, 2 wire, so i'm not 100% sure what that means.

EgeWorks

When you get a panaflo fan it has 3 pins on the fan itself. You can buy either 3 or 4 pin connectors (for the power end), that plug into the 3 pins on the fan.

Hope this helps.

OP
W

Wiggin

Thanks alot for the help. I don't wanna use my pc until I get the new hs as the old one doesn't seem to seat right w/o one of the clips, and when I try to game or watch a movie, the bios warning temp beeping goes off (meaning at least 75 degrees C). I didn't want to order and wait 3 days and then realize I have to do another order just for a stupid clip. :D

Sorry to be a pain, I was still a bit unclear on the 3 pin. So the 3 pins on the fan itself, just connects the wire to the fan? So the other end of the wire is bare, the end that goes to the power supply? Is this what I would need:

http://www.kdcomputers.com/eui/prime/profile/144.htm
http://www.kdcomputers.com/eui/prime/profile/143.htm

If so that would be a pain, since they are out of the 3-pin variety. :( That would mean i'd have to pick a different fan or order from a different site, since I only have two 4 pin connector spots left on my power supply wires. I'd try to pick some up locally but I don't drive so it's real hard to.

EgeWorks

I think with the product on that page the fan comes with a 3 pin connector for mobo fan headers, but with only the 2 wires - this means that the fans will run fine but you won't get the RPM sensor readout with monitoring software. If you're fussed about this get ones with three wires. If you go for 4 pin ones you can easily buy a spliter so that you have plenty more power connectors.