• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Buying a chip

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

JustinGB

Registered
Basically, I had originally planned to buy a p4 2.4c chip, but Christmas money wasn't as expected. So now, I've decided to just sacrifice a little, save more money, and get an AMD. What is a good chip to get?

Also, I've been reading things about unlocked and locked chips, and thoroughbreads and bartons. I know what the unlock/locked chips are, but i don't know about the thoroughbreds and bartonsand stuff.. i'm pretty new here, thank you :)

c627627

c(n*199780) Senior Member
Well, 2100+ Thoroughbred B is unlocked and only $62 at newegg.com, overclocks to 2.3 GHz average, or to put it differently, overclocks to 3x00+.

The 2500+ are $20 or so more but the new ones are locked.

Name brand power supply is important + for locked 2500+, the RAM is as well (you need PC3200) since

MHz speed = [FSB] x multiplier

so you need an FSB well into 200s to match the multiplier of 11 that 2500+ has, for a good overclock.

2100+ retail cooling is no good for OCing, 2500+ is better...

OP
J

JustinGB

Registered
ok.. so right now I've decided on the xp 2500+ barton core. How much affect would it have unlocked? Anyways, I will be getting a RaidMax Scorpio-868 420 watt power supply(Can someone confirm to me that this is compatible with AMD boards, Socket a? please correct me if i'm wrong), and someone suggested an Abit NF7-S. Would I run into any probs overlocking/I'm making a bad choice on the items? I'm also planning on getting Corsair XMS 3200 512mb kit(256x2)

CCW

Xtreme refugee
The 2500+ Barton has the extra cache and this cache is equivalent to having an extra 200-300Mhz CPU Core Clock instea dof the cache but the cache makes it better for 3d apps and CAD but also benchmarking so its a good choice especially with the NF7 and the 512MB DCDDR COrsair PC3200 Kit. AS long as that PSU has the standard ATX power connector it will be fine but it should have a 12V connector too, this is handy as the NF7 has a connector for the extra 12V connection which should increase the systems stability.

Craig

c627627

c(n*199780) Senior Member
OEM stands for Original Equipment Manufacturer.

OEM: Just the CPU, 30 day warranty.
Retail: CPU + AMD Heatsink, 3 year warranty.

PiMpShiN

the 2100+ is an awsome overclocker if its unlocked thoroughbred B, trust me.

The 2500+ is always an awesome overclocker regardless of it being locked or unlocked.

and the NF7-S is probably the best overclocking motherboard out there currently.

You may want to look into the 2600+ Thoroughbreds and Bartons. I've read great things:)

Leviathan41

Make sure you know that overclocking your chip voids the warranty so don't factor in the 30 day vs 3 year warranty when comparing.

When it comes down to it, if you want the sub-par AMD retail fan and heatsink then go with the retail box, if you have or are going to buy your own heatsink and fan, go with the OEM.

And my 2 cents, the 2500+ is a great chip, it will easily hit 3200+ speeds and beyond.

Good choice!