• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

buying a laptop for my car

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

jstutman

hi guys. im currently searching ebay for an old but mild laptop, somewhere around the 200mhz to 300mhz speed. most of these laptops dont contain cd drives, hard drives and memory.

i know i can buy hard drives, but my problem runs into memory and cd drives. these laptops are so old crucial dont even have them available on there site. where would i get memory from??

would a newer cd drive work for these old *** systems? they run about 200$ w/o all these. and thats about all im willing to pay.

if anyone knwo of a better place to look. help me out. just little things im trying to put together..

Captain Slug

Helpful Senior Member
The only CD Drives that those old laptops support are external SCSI or PCMCIA drives. The SCSI drives are a booger to find but the PCMCIA ones are pretty easy to get ahold of.

Unless you can find technical papers there's no way of knowing what kind of RAM is inside or if it's even upgradable.

OP
jstutman

jstutman

the laptop is only going to be used for mp3's so i will deffently need a cd rom to load the mp3's would say 32 meg or 64 work well enough to do this??

oh yeah another ?
would i be able to load win 98 on this dinosaur?

funnyperson1

200-300mhz
32mb ram
should be fine for mp3s and 98...my laptop P200MMX and 32mb of ram run winamp and word fine together although it runs 95

Captain Slug

Helpful Senior Member
jstutman said:
the laptop is only going to be used for mp3's so i will deffently need a cd rom to load the mp3's would say 32 meg or 64 work well enough to do this??

oh yeah another ?
would i be able to load win 98 on this dinosaur?

Should work great. Especially if you edit your System.ini to boot directly to your favorite media player instead of explorer.

OP
jstutman

jstutman

ever heard of IDP laptops???

will newer hard drives work for these old *** laptops? any kind just being old.

still looking, nothing is catching my eye. but these idt laptops are 59$ with no hdd no cd or floppy but comes with 16 megs of ram.

The Revelation

Registered
If you are just going to listen to mp3s... why not build a mp3 player for your car?

There are a ton of tutorials online, telling you how to go about doing it. It's really not that difficult, just get a distro of linux and run it off of an old p133 ;D

OP
jstutman

jstutman

hey i found a nice toshiba

only problem bios is locked. is it easy to unlock. no password.

hurry only 1 hr to go...

Captain Slug

Helpful Senior Member
I don't know anything about IDP laptops but I don't recommend spending money on something you know nothing about. I don't recommend getting a laptop any older than a Pentium II since they'll most likely have different part standards. Older toshiba models are selling for $50 - $100.

If you goto the Start Menu and RUN msconfig
goto system.ini and you can edit the boot > shell= line to redirect to winamp.

OP
jstutman

jstutman

aww yes, if it were that easy. i want the laptop to be my HU :). its so much more fun. and it dont look original.