• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Buying a new laptop, been out of the game for a while

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

rebelwarlock

I'm not so familiar with mobile computing, which is why I'm really not sure how to compare laptops. I've been looking at price lists, and all the Lenovo laptops use intel (another thing I'm not familiar with). Acer and Asus are way more popular here and come way more highly recommended (I'm in Taiwan) but I'm trying to look at all my options.

There are several things that I'm going to be doing with the lappy. It needs to be able to handle world of warcraft. I'm also going to use it for game development (unreal engine) and 3d modeling. I don't need the absolute top of the line in everything, and I don't really want anything bigger than 15". 14" seems just perfect for me.

The Lenovo that caught my eye from the list has these specs:
T6670 2.2 Ghz
2GB DDR3 1066
ATI 4570 256MB
Windows 7 home premium
$935usd

The next one in line (costing about $300usd more) has the following specs:
P8700 2.53Ghz
2GB DDR3 1066
ATI 3470 256MB Automatically configured (direct translation from Chinese, probably means overclocked)
Windows 7 Home premium (free professional upgrade)
$1279usd

Is the processor upgrade worth the extra money and the video card downgrade to me?

I'm looking at these Acer notebooks:

SU7300 1.3ghz
ATI HD 4330 512mb
2GB DDR3
Windows 7 Home premium 64
This one comes in 14" and 15.6" for the same price.
$1110usd

SU9400 1.4ghz
ATI HD 4330 512mb
2GB DDR3
Windows 7 Home premium 64
$1185usd

T4400 2.2ghz
Nvidia G105M 512mb (I'm guessing this is about the same as the ATI card? Never used Nvidia)
2GB DDR2
Windows 7 home premium 64
$904usd

What's the best value and most useful for me?

Also, and somewhat off topic, I know I haven't contributed here much lately. As a peace offering, I give you a picture of the anime Arthas bag I got from the Champion's Carnival (Taiwan's Blizzcon). As far as I know, you can only get it by going to the event in Taiwan.

Tyranos

Personally I wouldn't touch an Acer. **** poor quality all around in my experience. My company bought a boat load of acer monitors from Costco, and had to return them all shortly after.

There isn't really anything special about the non Thinkpad Lenovo's. I recently went through the same thing as you, looking for a decent laptop with good cpu and graphics. I considered the lenovo Thinkpad T500, which comes with the Ati 3650. Thinkpads are built very well. I ended up buying a Sony VGN-FW455JH. It was more bang for the buck, and also had a magnesium chassis. I got mine for $750.00, used - 2 months old. It has a ATI 4650 (perfect for L4D2), a 2.1ghz Core 2 Duo, and a cdrw/dvdrw/blue ray drive. 16.5" 16:9 glossy screen. New ones are around 1000 here in the US.

Btw, a great site to check mobile video card performance is: http://www.notebookcheck.net/Mobile-Graphics-Cards-Benchmark-List.844.0.html

You'll see that the 4570 in the lenovo you like has almost identical performance to a 3650.

OP
rebelwarlock

rebelwarlock

That's a great site. Comparing the video cards of the two I posted though, the 4570 appears to be significantly better. Is there a tool like that for CPU comparison?