• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Buying a Radeon 9800 Pro

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Makkarah

Which one is a good card?

I've got a couple to pick from, but I'll wait after christmas in hope of price drops.

Hercules 3D Prophet 9800 Pro
Excalibur Platinum Radeon 9800 Pro IceQ
Excalibur Radeon 9800 Pro
Connect3D Radeon 9800 Pro
Club-3D Radeon 9800 Pro

These all are 128 meg cards. 256 meg cards cost way too much here, and I cannot afford an XT either, so it has to be one of these.
Now I heard that Excalibur cards are nice, and that Pro IceQ doesn't look bad either. Any opinions? I'm kinda wondering about that Connect3D cause I just bought 9800 SE from them and wasn't really impressed about it's performance...

Well, it'd be tough to be impressed by *any* 9800SE's performance.

Generally speaking, most 9800Pro 128MB cards have nearly identical peformance. With the exception of the cheaper Sapphire 9800Pro (which is built on a 9700Pro PCB), all the OEM versions simply follow the ATI reference design to a T, using the exact same board and memory (2.8ns Samsung). Hercules, I believe, adds some extra cooling, which may help your overclock. There's also the Sapphire Ultimate Edition, which comes pre-equipped with a Zalman ZM-80C silent heatpipe cooler. Other than that, performance and overclockability should be identical.

Just got it. :)
Only 1 thing to say about that card... It's a monster! :D

Exceeded my expectations in 3dmark03, got almost 6000 points.

Back