• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Buying a used Wii

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Chixofnix

Hi all!

I want to buy a used wii system to save some $$$, but I know pretty much zilch about the system!

What dangers does the casual buyer of a used wii system need to be aware of?

What is the easiest way to tell if the system has been hacked or otherwise tampered with in a warranty-voiding manner?

Are there any common console hardware problems (in the vein of XBOX's red ring of death) to be aware of and on the lookout for?

Are there some basic tests to ensure full functionality of the controllers/receivers?

What else could go wrong allowing zero credit to my untrained eyes??? :shrug:

Last edited:

FudgeNuggets

The Wii is pretty much bulletproof. Would take extremes to brick or break one.

Things to look for physically:

Broken door on top that covers the gamecube memcard and controller ports

being yellowed from a smoker

software:
look for the homebrew channel on the menu. If it's there it's been hacked.

rainless

Old Member
Doesn't really matter if a Wii's been hacked or not (unless of course they screwed it up.)

Bring a small television with you if you have to. Throw in Wii Sports and see if it works. If it does... just buy the damned thing.

I bought my system used. Lucky me: Came with firmware version 2.2. (One of the systems from the first year.) Never been connected to the internet... wiiiiiiiiiiiiide open.

BOY was that a good day for me! (Well... besides that overdraft fee...)

A hacked Wii won't stop you from connecting to Nintendo's network or anything. And all you would really have to do is update to the latest system menu and it wouldn't be hacked anymore.

So THAT's nothing to worry about.

Just make sure it has the SD card cover and the Gamecube port door and that it's otherwise clean and smells nice.

Like Fudge said: The system is pretty much bullet proof. I think ALL of the Wiis that ever went defective were just because of a bug in one of the early firmwares.

Very VERY low chance of you ever needing to send the thing in.

FudgeNuggets

The ONE defect that I'm aware of is easily fixed by turning off Wii-connect 24. The Wii's network controller and videocard are integrated into one chip. When Wii-Connect 24 is turned on and the front goes all blue-glowy, the fan does not turn on. That was causing that chip to overheat. If this had been the case on that Wii then it would be dead already, so I wouldn't sweat it.

Janus67

Benching Team Leader
The only other issue I have heard about is the CD/DVD drive not functioning 100%, something about a clip being loose or something like that (a coworker told me about his some months ago).

whooping_a_panda

Mr Slave Senior
mine makes a horrifying grinding noise when a disc is inserted and played and every once in a while it wont read a disc on the first try (eject reinsert has always fixed it) but other than that the thing runs wonderfully.

so check for a dead or dying disc drive.

RoC1909

Obviously, you can tell a lot by how the system looks. If it looks pretty good on the outside and all the components are pretty much the same, then I would buy it. Hopefully there is a way to test the system out before handing over your money.

If anything, you should have added whether you were buying it used through say Gamestop. Or if you were buying it through CL and for example, meeting someone in a public place or a place where you can't test it before hand or get some kind of guarantee on it.

OP
Chixofnix

Chixofnix

Obviously, you can tell a lot by how the system looks. If it looks pretty good on the outside and all the components are pretty much the same, then I would buy it. Hopefully there is a way to test the system out before handing over your money.

If anything, you should have added whether you were buying it used through say Gamestop. Or if you were buying it through CL and for example, meeting someone in a public place or a place where you can't test it before hand or get some kind of guarantee on it.

Right. Planning on craiglist and bringing my brother over to test-run the system since I wasn't sure what to look for or how to test the components. I reckon handing cash over will mean I need to make sure it's in full working order on the spot.

Thanks everyone for the great advice! I will make a list of stuff to check then and hopefully will find a great deal! :)

killem2

imo, ebay.com, look for a high high seller with awesome feedback. there are some amazing deals that I wish I would have taken advantage of when I bought one. The game bundles are incredible.