• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

buying card soon..what to get?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

RangerJoe

All that is Man!
alright, i have a gf3 ti200..it runs the games i play now pretty well, but seeing as how new games will be coming out soon, and my card will be struggling..im gonna upgrade...anyway. i am thinking ti4200/ti4400. the ti4200's im looking at (everything from newegg of course) are the Abit Siluro OTES card..reason i like this, its got some sweet cooling, and it is clocked to ti4400 speeds at stock. and the albatron turbo..but seeing as how alot of people have been getting really crappy overclocks with this card, im skeptical..anyway, can i have everyones $0.02 about this one?

OP
RangerJoe

RangerJoe

All that is Man!
eh..ive never really been a fan of visiontek..nor evga..they have always seemed to me that they are made to be mass produced, not to be high quality, thats why they are always cheap...

anyway..should i risk it for the albatron? or be one of the first people to get the OTES abit on these forums?

Cisco Kid

RangerJoe said:
eh..ive never really been a fan of visiontek..nor evga..they have always seemed to me that they are made to be mass produced, not to be high quality, thats why they are always cheap...

anyway..should i risk it for the albatron? or be one of the first people to get the OTES abit on these forums?
venture into territory uncharted , go for the Abit or better yet hold off and get a 9500 Pro or a 9700 radeon far superior cards.

Cisco KId

Pinky

I've owned 2 visiontek cards now (the other was a GF3) and I haven't a clue how anyone could say they're "poor quality". They make (made) the reference boards for nvidia for crying out loud!! ;)

Samoyed

I dont think that going to the GF 4200 from the TI 200 is going to be a remarkable increase. Expect a 25% increase in 3dMark according to TOM's VGA charts.

I would hang on to the card and save up for the NV30 or 9700. These new cards will probaby increase your score by 50-70%

XiOUS

Registered
RangerJoe said:
alright, i have a gf3 ti200..it runs the games i play now pretty well, but seeing as how new games will be coming out soon, and my card will be struggling..im gonna upgrade...anyway. i am thinking ti4200/ti4400...
That is a easy one, I would buy Point of View Ti4200 XP 128Mb 3.3ns or Albatron Ti4200 Turbo 128MB 3.3ns they have the best overclocking abilities of all Ti4200-cards and they overclock way over Ti4600 stock speeds ;)

Simply as 3DGameMan says it is Bang for the Buck!

OP
RangerJoe

RangerJoe

All that is Man!
i will never buy ATI..i want to support Nvidia.

depending on the release date for the nv30..i might get one, but they wont be nearly as cheap as a ti4200 is now, and my funds arent unlimited..since im paying for it myself

OC Noob

I have to agree, going from a Gf3 Ti200 to a Gf4 Ti4200 isn't going to be that great of an upgrade. The OATES is around $200 isn't it? A Ti4600 is only a few bucks more.

Since your limited to Nvidia, why not do a Ti4600. The cheaper NV30s are a loooooong way off, so you really are limited in your choices right now.

Rich_T

Is the nv30 just an upgrade of the Geforce 4 or is it actually the Geforce 5?

Rich_T

specific

RangerJoe said:
i REALLY want the OTES card.only thing is..what if i want to put ramsinks on it?

that OTES card has a LOUD 7200rpm mini fan. i looked at it many times, but i don't think the price warrants it. it's a great idea though.

also, to answer the above question.
the nv30 is a new chip, so it's like the gf5.

OP
RangerJoe

RangerJoe

All that is Man!
take a look at the fan i have on my cpu..84 cfm sunon...a loud fan doesnt bother me, i can still sleep, and i use headphones alot of the time

i dont want to wait till the nv30..
and the OTES card is around $160..i dont know if the upgrade would be worth another 1/3 the price

edit $162 to be exact..and at newegg..ti4600's start around $230